Coastering in with some cork samples

You can get both effects. For example the harry potter ones have maybe a 1/32" depth to it and the light mandalas I can’t feel any depth.

6 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the reply! I wonder what multiple passes will do. Lots of testing for me to do!

Hey I’m curious, too… Is this synthetic or natural cork?

1 Like

Very nice. I would not have even thought to try cork.

2 Likes

Absolutely lovely!

1 Like

I have quite a stash of cork so this is very exciting! Does the burned mark smear at all when touched or when wiped with water?

4 Likes

it’s natural, you can see in the pictures - synthetic cork has a uniform texture. here’s a great comparison by some wine aficionados:

26 Likes

Awesome! Great work! :smiley:

Gorgeous work! Those are really awesome designs.

Did you have to (or do you plan to) seal the cork in anyway? like @bhspalinger asked above, does the marked (esp in larger solid areas) smear or leave black on the hands? (Don’t they use charred cork to black face?) Nice job BTW - I love to hear it when the family (kids) get involved in creating things like this (as opposed to nose in electronics :neutral_face:) Have a great week all - almost MARCH!

3 Likes

That is beautful

Nice! I’d like to see a combo. Dark outline and select parts of the design for a light pass. These are great!

GORGEOUS. The black ones had me doing a double-take wondering if black felt had been applied. Of course, now I think cork is going to be my fav material! (well, knowing me, that will last until I see the next 'forger’s posting :blush:

4 Likes

Amazingly clean lines, good stuff. Cork for everyone in the test kits!

4 Likes

This is my jam! Beautiful work. I do pyrography in my spare time and burning cork coasters on my Glowforge will be absolutely amazing! And a huge time saver!.

Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Whoa! The things ya think you read with tired eyes at 12:15 in the morning… I was like… he does what in his spare time?!

3 Likes

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

I love how these have turned out. I have a bunch of these just waiting for my Glowforge to come.

I have some 0.23" cork sheeting that I picked up at the craft store. It’s a bit too thick to cut. Tried multiple passes but no dice. Seems that the agglomerated cork that I have is a bit much. Could be the glue. Could be the cork.

It engraves ok though.

17 Likes

I’ve had the same experience. I thought it would be cheaper to get the big sheets rather than the precut coasters. So far I’ve just managed to burn it. Doesn’t seem to care how many passes it hit it with, there’s always a piece here and there that end up holding on and tearing out chunks of my cut.

1 Like

what were your cut settings to not have too much burning?
I totally went to IKEA and bought the same placemats to cut into coasters for a friend.

1 Like