Coastering in with some cork samples

That is beautful

Nice! I’d like to see a combo. Dark outline and select parts of the design for a light pass. These are great!

GORGEOUS. The black ones had me doing a double-take wondering if black felt had been applied. Of course, now I think cork is going to be my fav material! (well, knowing me, that will last until I see the next 'forger’s posting :blush:

4 Likes

Amazingly clean lines, good stuff. Cork for everyone in the test kits!

4 Likes

This is my jam! Beautiful work. I do pyrography in my spare time and burning cork coasters on my Glowforge will be absolutely amazing! And a huge time saver!.

Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Whoa! The things ya think you read with tired eyes at 12:15 in the morning… I was like… he does what in his spare time?!

3 Likes

:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

I love how these have turned out. I have a bunch of these just waiting for my Glowforge to come.

I have some 0.23" cork sheeting that I picked up at the craft store. It’s a bit too thick to cut. Tried multiple passes but no dice. Seems that the agglomerated cork that I have is a bit much. Could be the glue. Could be the cork.

It engraves ok though.

17 Likes

I’ve had the same experience. I thought it would be cheaper to get the big sheets rather than the precut coasters. So far I’ve just managed to burn it. Doesn’t seem to care how many passes it hit it with, there’s always a piece here and there that end up holding on and tearing out chunks of my cut.

1 Like

what were your cut settings to not have too much burning?
I totally went to IKEA and bought the same placemats to cut into coasters for a friend.

1 Like

just redid some experiments and settings that worked well for me were…
Etching - speed 1000 power 20
Cutting - speed 300 power 100

https://community.glowforge.com/t/cork-redeux/?source_topic_id=6213
7 Likes

Did you seal them with anything to prevent the char from smearing?

no, just washed them off with some soap and water :slight_smile:

I am trying to engrave some cork trivets so that it is a very light engrave that you basically can’t feel any depth. What settings did you use for the “light mandalas” to get that result?

Looks like speed 1000 and power 7 will work well for etching. I first tried 500/10 and that was a deep enough to feel. When I did 1000/5 it looked decent, but could be a bit darker so 7 would probably be good power instead of 5. My cutting pass was a mess though, 150 speed and full power just burned it with an exposed flame that darkened the edges all around my test, so try something faster than that :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, that is very helpful! I am just now getting started and trying to figure out the settings for engraving on different materials.