Coin holder jewelry

I saw some painted pennies over on Pinterest and thought they were super cool looking, so I had to take a shot at it. They actually came out very nice–the photos don’t look nearly as well as in person for some reason. Anyway, after painting them I had to figure out how to mount into pendants and earrings.

The pendants were made from 1/16" black acrylic cut so the penny is press-fit in the center. Then I cut some 10 mil black polyester with a hole slightly smaller, to laminate to the front and back with Epoxy 330. The middle layer with the coin consisted of two parts separated by a gap to allow a chain or leather to pass through.

The earrings were made similarly from 1/16" black acrylic. The decorative ring holds the penny in a press-fit manner, then a 20 mil polyester matching piece with slightly smaller hole (to hold the coin in place) was laminated to the front. This held the coin in on the front side. I then domed the coin with epoxy resin, and after curing I attached another piece of 20 mil polyester on the back (with UV resin) to hang the pieces from.

I must confess that I like the wheaties the best.

40 Likes

those are cool.

have you seen the “carved” coins?

25 Likes

No, but that’s some real fine artistry there.

12 Likes

Those look like the work of “Jobe Coins” . A guy that sells on Ebay. I watch his auctions and bid occasionally. I haven’t won one yet but someday I’m going to see one that I can’t live without and go to the floor boards bidding. I wanted a bicentennial quarter he did a few months back.

14 Likes

These are so cool

12 Likes

I really like the last ones pictured!

I really like the resin over the coin to smooth it out too; really gives it that jewelry look!

14 Likes

I like those. What was your painting technique?

12 Likes

Your coins are so shiny. Makes for a great effect.

12 Likes

I LOVE these! The colors you chose are great. I also would like to know your technique for painting them.

14 Likes

I think they turned out great! The dark blue really makes the design pop, especially the wording. I know you said the pics don’t look as good as in person, so is the printing more clear on the wheaties?

13 Likes

Love the blue! Hmm…painted pennies. New one on me. Great work!

11 Likes

I used Ranger Vintaj patina, which is specifically designed for metal. I painted the entire surface, let it dry, heat-set with heat tool, then carefully sanded the surface with a combination of fine sanding blocks and rotary tools.

Yes, the pennies have weird light reflection that makes the lettering look darker in some areas. I think it’s because of the way I polished—too many angles were left in the surface. I should have gone over all the exposed metal with a fine polisher to take those reflections off. Next time.

20 Likes

These turned out awesome!

11 Likes

You are so creative! These are outstanding!

7 Likes

what a cool idea! I have a lot of coins from different countries I collected while traveling. This would be a wonderful way to display them all, maybe as a coin necklace or belt. No drilling, and a perfect fit for the different sizes.

6 Likes

I have a bunch of foreign coins too (somewhere). Charm bracelet?

5 Likes

Yes!

4 Likes

Super neat! I love the colors on the coins and the way you have set each. Very cool, indeed.

4 Likes

Oh my— these are awesome!!

2 Likes