Cold storage

I’d rather not have to sign for it. No one is home during the day so that means I’ll need to take time to go somewhere and pick it up. I’d rather they left it and I’ll photo it as I arrive home. I’m trusting Dan’s packaging to be sufficient. If there’s anything broken it’ll more likely be internal and not visible from the outside until I unpack it and even that’s not the proof until I fire it up.

4 Likes

I usually have my expensive stuff delivered to a trusted neighbor that I know will be home or to a nearby Fedex or UPS store for me to pick up latter. If no place to do that nearby, I think I would just take the day off, because I would probably be to excited to get any useful work done anyway. - Rich

10 Likes

only one day? are you sure? I will ask the week off hahaha the first day is just to stare it :heart_eyes: and read all the instructions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Of course, I was just talking delivery. As for the week off, I’m with you. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: - Rich

5 Likes

I’m wondering if the 15 minute out of the box and print/cut something will include reading the manual… :thinking:

1 Like

No… the manual’s dauntingly large. We’re going to work to make it as readable as possible, but the downside of hiring the best safety people in the business is that they are very particular about what gets said how.

11 Likes

I am a product safety engineer. I am tasked with making sure our soldiers are not injured by inherently deadly equipment that my company builds for them. Think what is like to keep a bunch of 18 year old boys from killing them selves with a 50 ton tracked vehicle or weapons. I know what tech manuals for dangerous systems look like. When you try to fool proof something, they just come up with bigger fools. We finally have to draw a line in the sand and say, “That’s all.” You should see the size of our TMs. - Rich

19 Likes

Hahahahaha this will be an excellent slogan :joy:

7 Likes

I’m sorry to say I never read the manual :confounded:

Survival of the fittest I guess.

5 Likes

We know that. :unamused: There are lots of other safety things we do, like design controls. TMs are mostly for operation training and maintenance personnel. - Rich

8 Likes

I’m currently designing a sort of clean room, inside my garage, for the Glowforge. I’m taking the “don’t move the Glowforge” issue very seriously, so I’m making a space that will have enough room for it, materials, and lots of passthrough clearance on each side, so I don’t have to move it what so ever after putting in place. However, without knowing the necessary storage and operation temperatures I’m worried my room will be insufficiently heated for the winter. Can anyone help me with a rough estimation of the kind of temps i’ll probably need and or a link to some engineering equations that may help me? Outdoor temp probably won’t ever hit less than -10 Fahrenheit here, the room I’m building will be inside a steel frame garage. I need to figure out if I can get away with just insulating two of the garage walls, or if I need to build an entirely free standing room. My husband and I do plan to get a heating cooling unit for the space but we’re hoping we don’t have to run it all the time this winter.

Any help would be VERY appreciated, Thank You :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here is one discussion.

The fluid for cooling hasn’t been divulged yet I believe, except that it won’t be water.
perhaps @dan has some further insight at this point, in terms of storage temperature.

2 Likes

Speaking from Vermont, I’d say either extra insulation on the exterior walls as well as the interior ones, or else a backup heater set above freezing, or preferably both. Because that kind of temperature cycling on a daily basis isn’t so good even if you don’t get to the frozen-coolant scenario.

4 Likes

Agreed, I feel like this is just too precious to risk to the vagaries of climate.

2 Likes

I live in San Jose, CA. It occasionally gets well below freezing at night during the Winter (gasp! I know). Was there any conclusion on the cold that the GF can take while not in use? - Rich

Nothing announced by the company or in this forum other than the cooling liquid isn’t water. A lot of speculation. The possibility of the cooling liquid freezing is only one consideration. Electronics and other things inside the GF may not like temperature extremes or rapid temperature changes.

The manual will certainly have storage and operating temperatures listed. TBD whether they have locked the numbers down or whether that’s one of the gazillion tests an outside lab will perform. (Or some of the folks in Minnesota/Canada will let you know about 3 months before you need the info.)

4 Likes

I can always plug in one those terrarium/lizard heating pads underneath the GF if I am expecting very cold weather. - Rich

2 Likes

Those heating pads can fail as the late Gimp the Iguana could attest if hadn’t died of cold.

6 Likes

We’ve had one for 10 years under our leopard gecko tank. Is that unusual? - Rich

No idea. It was a friend’s iguana. He mainly kept fish. He had some incredible looking aquariums. They kept the house cool in the WI winter to save money and he had a heating thing for the iguana. One morning gimp was no longer with them and the heating thing was cold. Considering the basic mechanics of it, it’s something that should last until a week before ever. Not that one.

1 Like