Cold storage

I have an autographed copy of The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. But it was autographed by my cousin Douglas Adams and not the author. And that’s not the first book he’s signed.

10 Likes

Gonna have to commit that one to memory.

6 Likes

Fans of Douglas Adams (the english author, not @johnwills’ cousin) may wish to check out Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency starring Elijah Wood on BBC America (1st season currently available online if you have a cable tv login).

11 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’m a fan of both Douglas Adams. :wink:

2 Likes

When I got delivery of a large-ish 3D printer, I noted a very large gash along the top of one side of the box, which upon inspection proved to be where one of the forks of a forklift had gone through the box and the top of the printer. Oddly enough, the truck guy hadn’t noticed until I pointed it out to him – so I was really glad I was there when it was delivered…

7 Likes

OUCH! Was there any damage to the unit? Or did they (the shipping company) take the delivery back for insurance claims?

That would suck either way (especially for lead time replacement).

1 Like

I had a sauna delivered a couple weeks ago (I was there - it was a surprise for the rest of the household) and one of the box corners was crushed (on a top corner). The driver didn’t notice it either. I think they’re trained not to notice that stuff. But I opened it before he left to make sure nothing was damaged. I also noted it as “no apparent damage” because there was a full size glass door in there that I didn’t unpack and wouldn’t have known if it were broken.

6 Likes

Yeah – the unit was damaged – shipping had me fill out the forms (and I took pictures all along the process) and took it back right then and there, and the printer company immediately shipped a new one out to me…

3 Likes

How long before the replacement gets to you?

Took a week to 10 days to get the replacement, but it arrived in pristine condition :slight_smile:

1 Like

You did that perfectly.
Even if you hadn’t been there at the time the result would have eventually been the same, but insurers are fond of establishing liability, and removing the possibility of mishandling on your part from the equation - and pictures, expedited the process. :+1:
Personally, I will be tracking that package, and do whatever is required to be present. I would encourage everyone to be prepared to perform as well as you did.

5 Likes

One of my treasured possessions is an original copy of “Hitch Hikers Guide to Europe” which came out first. Given to me by my mum when I was 16. It had a big impact on my life as I hitched hiked around Europe…

5 Likes