Collapsible Pai Sho board

First time posting, long time lurker haha! finally finished a project that I’m super proud of

Off thrifting the other day and found this great box. it was just begging to become a Pai Sho set!

I really wanted to do a board that didn’t show any “puzzling” lines and that fit into the box.

to fit the board and tiles into the box the board had to be in 8 pieces. I hid the cut lines inside a roster engrave so when it’s all put together the dark lines hide the cuts. Holding the board together there are 6 “domino” pieces cut to stop the board from moving too much.

I got the tile designs from https://skudpaisho.com/site/design-downloads/ and with a little tweaking and finishing here’s the final product!

42 Likes

nice work!

12 Likes

That turned out awesome! Welcome to the community!

11 Likes

Great first share!

Is the board made from Proofgrade ply? Or something else?

What did you use for the coloring?

Any photos of the domino connections?

10 Likes

Thanks so much!

The round tile pieces where done in proof grade maple, though I’d advise against as I had to sand off the finish for all the black tiles and then stain, then finish… added a lot of work… (the white came out great though!)

The board is out of 4mm white oak plywood I found at a local shop. I’d advise going unfinished for the same reason as the tiles. as for the colouring, I used Varathane wood stain for the white sections. I wanted a vibrant red and had a hard time finding what I was looking for. I ended up using food colouring haha!

Here are some pics of the “domino” connectors

18 Likes

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing the process and photos.

10 Likes

Very nice!!

8 Likes

Really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

Very well done! Love the way you pieced it together. Turned out beautiful.

6 Likes

WOW! Even knowing exactly what/where I was looking for I still can’t spot the locking pieces. You did a fabulous job!

9 Likes

Thanks for stepping up to share such a great project. That box was an amazing find to begin with, but you really did it justice.

6 Likes

Wowza, that’s an impressive bit of artistic engineering! Welcome to the community.

6 Likes

Love it great job. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I’m sure you have a few more projects you have done that would go over really well with this crowd.

I’m any case. Glad you jumped in with this post.

4 Likes

Amazing! How clever of you to design those pressure-fit pieces. I’d love to see more of that type of thing.

6 Likes

What a wonderful way to introduce yourself! Welcome to the forum! Please share more of what you make. We all just love inspiration!

4 Likes

Ingenious to hide the cut lines inside an engrave :heart_eyes_cat:I have never seen this game, and now I want to learn all the things about it. And all of this was inspired by a thrifted box?!?

And if you ever need to make something brightly colored again, alcohol ink markers would work nicely for a similar project.

7 Likes