Colorado Wildfires / Evacuations

Like someone mentioned in another thread, you think of it as related to forest fires and if there aren’t any around you don’t feel particularly threatened. Then one otherwise normal day it’s 10:30 in the morning and the house next door is on fire and before the afternoon is out 600 more houses are gone.

5 Likes

I’m guessing things are going ok there today? I have been seeing pics but I haven’t watched TV today at all yet.

I think our work building might actually be ok because it’s a good distance from any other buildings. But we’ll see. I’ve seen so many pics where like 15 homes are burned down and then 2 random homes are ok. Don’t know yet if it was just the way the wind was shifting, or if it was due to the way the owners landscaped and there was a safe perimeter or what. (Some of what people were saying yesterday seems to be rumor, like Target is not rubble like I had heard it was, but I don’t think I’ll fully comprehend what has happened until I see it firsthand, when this is all completely over and it’s safe.)

2 Likes

We’re fine but heartbroken at the losses. Looking at drone footage, it looks like at least two of our friends off Via Appia suffered total losses. They haven’t been allowed back in, and we can’t imagine the stress of the uncertainty their dealing with.

11 Likes

Praying for all in harm’s way.

2 Likes

The press conference this morning said no one was killed which is really good news. And it’s snowing a ton (they have about 6" in Broomfield with another 4 or so expected).

It’s awful having your house destroyed but so much better than it could have gone - no one is burying anyone and it’s not going to be burning for days or weeks like some out in CA & the PAC NW.

7 Likes

My most “at risk” friends are in Greely and have said there’s virtually no danger for them now, heavy snow is falling.

Not much comfort for those that lost their homes. Where do you go? I often think of a “go bag” with your most precious possessions, yet live under threat of tornados year-round and don’t have one myself.

7 Likes

This sounds strange probably but having a go-bag is such a trigger for me. (We had to have a go-bag for over 2 years when my daughter was in treatment. At any moment she happened to get a fever, we’d have to drop everything and take her in because she had a port in her chest for chemo.)
I’m working on getting a lot of things organized right now and want to have our important paperwork ready to grab and go, etc. I think for now I’ll just have to work on a quick list of the things to remember to grab in the event of an emergency.

4 Likes

Us too. We have a daughter in Reno who was affected by all the smoke from the fires, and friends in Colorado Springs who are safe. I wasn’t sure where the fires were from them, but he said they (fires) were a couple hours north of them. When we lived in NE Nevada, there wasn’t a year that went by that there weren’t massive wildfires, consuming well over 100,000 acres and would take weeks to put out. NE Nevada is mountainous so hard to fight them.

Here on New Year’s Day, it’s currently 76deg here in East Tennessee. But we’re supposed to have a chance of possible snow tomorrow night or Monday.

This has been such a crazy year all around. Keeping everyone in prayer for a safe year, and praying for all those who have lost literally everything in the fires. Thankfully we haven’t heard of any loss of life, which is a miracle.

2 Likes

The thing about these fires is that they were in the actual suburbs, and I haven’t seen that here ever before. Usually it’s in the mountains. But to bring down large portions of whole cities - I am still trying to wrap my brain around it.

1 Like

Preliminary Assessment - shows all of the addresses impacted by the fire, and if it’s damaged or destroyed.
marshall-fire-preliminary-damage-assessment.pdf (1.4 MB)

Like when the entire town of Paradise burned in California.

I guess I should have been more specific in my words - “in Colorado”

Oh, I understood that. It just reminds me of when the town of Paradise was totally destroyed by fire. It’s devastating to see whole towns and neighborhoods wiped out. Just as destructive as the tornadoes recently. So sad.

Yeah, they already had a housing issue there - not a lot of it and it’s all pretty expensive so finding someplace to live while they rebuild is going to be a huge issue.

And the ones who didn’t lose their houses but who can’t go back, or where the power is out or the gas is shutoff are going to have issues with pipes freezing, etc. They’ve said that power would be restored in a few days but the gas may not get fixed for a couple of weeks or more.

1 Like

Nobody I know directly was impacted but I hear stories of people bringing in people who were. Also public spaces like schools being used as shelters.

That’s great but if you’re talking about homeless families, where are they going to end up? Imagine just walking out onto the street with your family and leaving everything behind.

Avista hospital NICU lost ALL of their baby newborn/premie clothing and baby blankets - it’s taken them years to accumulate everything they had. I’m so heartbroken for them. I’m trying to see what I can do to help. If anyone has anything to donate, please message me!

This is horrible. When my children were in the NICU they didn’t get to wear anything because of all of the leads, tubes, IV’s etc. I know the hospital will be able to replace required equipment and supplies eventually, but these more individualized items are not so easy to restock.

1 Like

Yeah, they mentioned using onesies and sleepers that snap or zip because of all of the leads (so they can go between the snaps or at the top of the zipper). I remember with my daughter, those side snap shirts were awesome in the hospital. She was on so many leads there for a while. (We were lucky though, she was only there for a few days.)

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.