Colorful Fractal Boxes

Working on a series of boxes in quarter and eighth inch plywood. These use small finger joints on the side and a layered top and bottom. The boxes are dye with Folk Arts Ultra Dye and then layed out in a cross shape (like the purple box below) so the fractal patterned can be lasered on the box.

The fractal shapes are from the free iOS program Frax. This gives me a nice variety of patterns to choose from. Clockwise from the top Swirls (Red), Coral (Purple) and Ocean (blue).

Once you get going a certain kind of madness sets in and you find yourself saying “I wonder if I can do…”

Maybe something like…

This…

Well it turns out, that yes you can. This last box is called “Hey dude… What was in those brownies?”

/me Slowly drops the needle on The Who’s “Magic Bus”

Come with me my children. Let’s make bright and crazy things.

Oh, and somebody clean the work table up. It’s a total mess.

58 Likes

Those are awesome!

4 Likes

now you’ve got me thinking of the 3D paisley pattern i was engraving on a pickguard, some control panels, and most recently a guitar, and wondering what that would look like if it was dyed up similarly to this image first.

and i do have some “mix your own” dyes (that i think might ultra dye in powder form). i may have some testing to do this weekend.

10 Likes

These are beautiful.

3 Likes

cool boxes! Will have to check out frax…

2 Likes

Wow just wow!!! The colors are so vivid—— Love Love Love!!!

2 Likes

That is so very cool! The colors combined with the patterns - :star_struck:

2 Likes

Totally Amazing! We have been thinking leaving masking on and paint after, painting first and laser after is great!

2 Likes

These boxes are gorgeous! I’ve played with Frax for years, but never thought to do this…

3 Likes

Personally I love the creative chaos of the workbench, and the scars of past artistic endeavor.

4 Likes

Frax is highly addictive.

4 Likes

Gorgeous! I wonder if you used multiple passes of very light engraving, could you reduce the char to almost non? But it would take a long time.

And are those box gluing jigs I see in the background?

2 Likes

Why yes they are. Based on your design for the triangles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With some substantial upgrades!

1 Like

Fractint is the granddaddy of fractal stuff still operating in Dos but much more complex than the original.

6 Likes

This is AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

1 Like

Very Cool!

1 Like

Love the colors!!! Those are so pretty!

1 Like