Combining laser cutting with sublimation printing

I’m looking at simplifying(!) my work flow, and recently found Johnson Plastics ‘Sublidecal’ material.
This might enable me to print a design in color, then gold foil it, and then laser cut it out, to become a single laminated surface on my wooden fan sticks.
Has anyone come across any other laserable, white, adhesive backed material that is a polyester film, like Mylar for instance. This has the advantage of accepting sublimation printing.

Merry Christmas to all our readers.
John

6 Likes

This information probably won’t simplify and speed up your work flow, but I have sublimated on clear laminating pouches and pressed them to mdf and plywood. At the time I wasn’t aware of the dangers of layering vinyl (polyvinyl chloride ) but the film I used turned out to be safe. I have not tested any other brand of pouch but I would imagine that they would be of similar chemistry. Neither could I find any MSDS sheets and if there was any chance of the pouch getting stuck and catching fire the manufacturer would be required to disclose and toxic gases released. I have also sublimated on white and clear acrylic with good results.

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I think laminating pouches might be mylar based.
When you say “…sublimated on clear laminating pouches…” was that transferring a sub print onto the pouch in a heat press, then laminating that onto the mdf/plywood ?

1 Like

I haven’t tried the material you mentioned, but ive tried the 1/16th white “acrylic” or engraving plastics sold by jpplus and trotec to try with sublimation…not good. Yes, it can be sublimated, but the melting point is so low that the moment the heatpress touches it, it loses its glossy finish and begins melting. I tried different times and temps, but it was no use, the best i could come out with was a porous matte finish with sloppy edges… which made me want to buy a UV printer…

I’m moving soon, so my uv printer purchase has to wait, but it’s on my list.

6 Likes

The easiest way is to sublimate and press onto the wood at the same time. You’ll need to experiment a bit to find the best temp and pressure. I have used this process to put images on the cheap blank metal signs from Dollar Tree and Dollar General.

5 Likes

Got it !
And thanks. If the prototype succeeds, I’ll post pics here.

4 Likes

My problem with using acrylics is that the fan sticks can only be about 1mm thick, and most thermoplastics are too flexible at that thickness. Most thermosets are too brittle, so some sort of composite is my way forward.
John
PS good luck with the move - mine was 4000 miles across the pond !

6 Likes

Nice! I’m guessing off the top of my head, but my move will be about 5500 miles?

3 Likes

OK, you win !

2 Likes

She’s going across the other pond :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

OMG, I’m surrounded by ponds.
And the sky’s falling down !

4 Likes

Crustacean Singles

7 Likes

I have often pondered how many tons of water are floating by over my head, and was glad it came down a drop at the time. It’s probably a ‘guy’ thing, but did you ever spit from a height? the air resistance will split the drop, down to a mist if enough altitude is involved. After a good rain have you ever stepped out and felt the super-fine, almost a mist still coming down? That’s one thing a bald head is good for. With enough altitude and temperature, you get virga.
Clouds, allow vast quantities of water to be transported from where it is - to where it isn’t, bringing life with it. For that matter, liquid water itself is a wonderful circumstance of temperature and pressure. I came to realize how easily we take small miracles for granted. How far outside this solar system would we have to go to witness liquid water pooling on the ground? Same reason I quit killing insects… unless I’m attacked. How far to find anything as glorious as an ant? It would be measured in lightyears.

6 Likes

I just purchased a roll of 1.5mm matte laminating film, and I have been assured that it is safe to use but because it is thinner the results are better. I haven’t tried it yet, but I will report back.

3 Likes

That seems a bit thick for a ‘film’ ! Could you confirm the thickness please ?

1 Like

@nancyrich9781
Its probably 1.5 mil

5 Likes

this was such an unexpectedly beautiful comment to find hidden here amongst the tips and tricks with thermoplastics. thank you :heart:

2 Likes

:grin: It was @deirdrebeth’s fault, she set the wheels in motion. Get me going, and I can ramble on. I’m also probably the worst around here for derailing threads…

3 Likes