Compass Rose Test Cut

Continuing to play with and test out the new Glowforge, and did a test run on some draftboard of this compass rose I drew a few years ago. I plan on making this a few levels deep and cutting it on some cherry or maple. I’m impressed with the ease of getting it from illustrator to the GF, as long as the file isn’t too big. I had planned on trying to learn Fusion 360 or Inkscape, but for now, my Illustrator skills seem to be doing the trick. :wink:

66 Likes

Very nice! What was the print time for that?

2 Likes

Oh, that is a particularly beautiful compass star! I can’t wait to see it inlaid with contrasting materials.

2 Likes

If you know (and have) Illustrator, there’s really no need to go to Inkscape. I believe Fusion360 has a few more 3D bells and whistles, but especially for ‘flat’ work, Illustrator is perfect.

Nice piece. Cool design.

2 Likes

1 hour and 40 minutes.

Oh yeah, the best creations start with unique artwork! I love the unusual center rose with the leaf-like star points. :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

That is a beautiful design. Great potential for inlays too!

2 Likes

Beautiful artwork!

1 Like

Stunning!

1 Like

Eek! I guessed as much.

Nearly 2 hrs?!!
That’s the downside of the engraving. It is strange that it is so much faster to cut out an area than to do even a shallow engrave in the same space. I have been toying with the idea of doing stuff in two thinner layers and gluing them together afterwards. Cuts would go through both layers and engraves would just cut through the top one.

3 Likes

Cut the 3 tiered version of this today in Maple. Now I just need to make a stand for it. :wink:

6 Likes

Yep, looks even better in 3 tiers! :grin:

1 Like