Complaints from Neighbours about odor... again

Could you get a couple odor reducing filters and put then inline in the box? Or maybe a scent block like scency blocks to help mask/blend.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried it the first time I got the complaints and will try it againā€¦
And Iā€˜m totally with you. I hate this kind of ā€žcommunicationā€œ

Haha :sweat_smile:
Did you know my hair are dreadlocks? :wink:
But to be honest: most people in this apartment complex are silverhaired :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€˜s what I thought and will try next.
The box with filter inside made the results better so using maybe two boxes or more of the filters should do. Itā€˜s a matter of place and money I guess

I laser at night when the neighbors are sleeping.

1 Like

I would warm up some fresh eggs. let them stay room temp for a while. when ready to laser. launch one off the balcony in some random direction. presto. camo smell released

6 Likes

Something interesting about the noise (not related to this particular concern).
If I stand outside by the exhaust, it sounds like a low volume shop vac and not really loud or distracting.
BUT, I had a job running when I was way in back by my pines (probably 200 + feet away - no obstruction line of sight to the exhaust port) and there was a distinct high pitched shrill sound that could be heard.
I did not think it was the glowforge at first because of the difference in sound, but as I neared the house it did sort of blend into the overall noise as the lower tones got louder and could start being heard.

Dunno the acoustic science to this, but the noise does vary with distance.

1 Like

Sound carries way more in unpopulated areas. We lived on 28 acres at one time and I could hear the neighbors conversations. Interesting as they were ā€¦it was kind of creepy to hear someone that far away.

1 Like

So, one thing you could do is add an additional exhaust fan, and an angled bracket pointing upwards. This would push your exhaust up and away from your neighbors. The only problem is the noise from the exhaust fan, now.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised they can smell it unless you are venting directly out of one window straight at another one. The smell dissipates after a few feet.

1 Like

To @Jules point, can you put an elbow or something on the outlet to direct the flow down or to the side as opposed to what I assume is straight out?

How do they know the smell they are smelling is coming from you?

You might want to make something on your Glowforge for each of your neighbors to get them interested in what you are doing. Thatā€™s what I did. :grinning:

4 Likes

This!
Inwas asking myself exactly this since I got the first letter. And I really donā€˜t know. But they do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

An elbow and a pipe up to roof level or higher. Like a chimney.

2 Likes

I vent it out to the balcony (see pictures below) and even if I stand there i can barely smell it.
I really donā€™t get it, what my neighbours are up toā€¦

Call me pragmatic butā€¦ if the air doesnā€˜t leave the balcony, the neighbours canā€˜t smell itā€¦ right?

If you have sort of an enclosed yard in the back you might be getting a swirl wind effect. In which case if mgmt doesnā€™t mind the mesh you put up I would set up a bracket on the piece of wood and set up a piece of pvc pipe to vent as high as possible and get the fumes to dissipate asap. I would even paint it the color of the wall to camouflage it.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Actually I got this kind of advice more than once.
But if Iā€™m not mistaken, GF says, you shouldnā€™t have a pipe that long because you could get backpressure into the machine. But I donā€™t know for sure

Also the fabric panels might help with sound but for smell its accumulating it and maybe your next door or below neighbors are getting kind of hotbox effect

You could get an outdoor radon inline fan and see if that would work. I understand those to be quieter and able to stand up to the elements.