Complaints from Neighbours about odor... again

This is my installation and how I filter the outgoing air:

3 Likes

Yeah, actually the curtains might be containing the smell…if you’re on the fourth floor and set up a regular fan outside to disperse the smoke, your neighbors shouldn’t even be able to notice.

(And we’ll get the filters one of these days.)

I made some test runs.
engraving and cutting acrylic: yes, of course you can smell it if you hold your nose just into the exhaust port (which I did not :wink: ) but a meter away - nothing.
But, to be fair, I made a test run with MDF. Engraving and cutting this does smell a lot (in comparison to acrylic) but it’s this mixture of sweet and burned wood. Nothing I would call a biting smell or so. But this could be subjective. Never the less, one or two meters away it is still noticable but only if you’re looking for it (which, I assume, is what my neighbours are doing. I don’t even know why, I didn’t even know I have enemys here :D).

I just got in contact with my management.
The guy on the phone was totall on my side in the matter but he’s only the telephone guy :man_shrugging:
The woman who wrote the letter will contact me…

GF-filters:
Did they mention how much they’ll cost…?

1 Like

Compared to the pictures of when I installed it: yeah, maybe I could change the filter
That‘s another 45€, thanks to the neighbours :man_bowing:t2:

1 Like

Any other filtering system you use is going to require the filter media be changed periodically as well. It’s just a part of filtering… no different than your cars intake air filter, air conditioner/HVAC filter, etc.

1 Like

Hopefully some open communication can help solve the problem. You’ve obviously making a good-faith effort. If she tells you when it bothers here, you can better troubleshoot what’s going on. Or at least which direction to point the fan!

I agree that you should try venting up to the roof line. An inline fan would do the trick, I’d think. There are others who are venting up that way in their homes.

2 Likes

Depends on the lease contract, the neighbors, and the managers.

Most leases will have ambiguous language in the lease contract that could be used to prevent someone from doing this.

1 Like

There was a woman in my building who smoked down by the garbage dumpsters on the first floor opposite end of the building (we’re on 3), Due to some chimney effect between the buildings, her smoke came into our apartment as if she was standing right outside. I bumped into her one morning and mentioned it. She was surprised and more than a bit upset. I felt somewhat embarrassed at how much remorse she showed, especially since I wasn’t expecting any and didn’t feel it was necessary since she had no idea.

TL;DR air moves weird

4 Likes

It’s unfortunate that you can’t communicate with the complainer, because it’s not even necessarily certain that it’s your GF that they’re smelling. They might be attributing something else to the GF. (Speaking as someone with a neighbor who made lots of noise complaints about me, including weeks when I was out of town.)

6 Likes

I still don’t understand things like this. We got a letter a couple weeks ago about how loud our dogs are, barking all day long, and we need to do something about it.
Only problem is my dogs aren’t home during the day. They come to work with me.

8 Likes

been there done that. some old lady was telling the cops I was smoking pot. she was two floors BELOW me. it was nuts.

2 Likes

Yeah, lived on a fairly large lot, (small farm), that abutted a senior apartment complex. Had the cops called on me 4 or 5 times for shooting guns too close to the apartments. Only problem is I don’t own a gun, or at least not one that I have fired in 50 years.

Illegal hunters in the woods behind the farm. But I still had to deal with the cops since they were too afraid to go in the woods with the hunters.

6 Likes

So I am going to suggest some tricky camouflage techniques where you use Mint Leaves inside the glow forge , the fan blows the Mint smell out of it,

I use it because I have the Glowforge in the Kitchen and Food and Smell very important , some times when I open up the Glowforge the smell can distract form that of the true Kitchen ambiance.

Mint plants smell very strongly of mint as do the leaves.
You can also put them inside the vents in the hose as we do both.

MINT LEAVES to the rescue.

So I would seal the box you made up with Mint Leaves, and call it the day.

The other Trick you may try is putting Cinemon Sticks inside the Hollow chambers of the Glowforge Tray.

4 Likes

a little dish of essential oils where the hardware won’t hit it. LOL

3 Likes

Short Mason jar with oil infused talcum powder. The cap, replace the metal part with chipboard with holes punched in it

1 Like

Vanilla? What are those fresh baked scents supermarkets use?

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.