Computer Decal

I was inspired recently to make my work computer look a little cooler. Here are the results using walnut veneer:

I tried out using greyscale to vary the power setting for the Autodesk logo “bug”. Results are pretty cool in my opinion.

Designed using a mix of Fusion 360 and Adobe Illustrator

While this has provided several compliments from people who’ve seen it, I’m yet to see my computer’s performance improve as a result of this upgrade.

• Jason

Shout out to Autodesk partner Ryan Johnson for the design inspiration:
Original%20Cover
His decal is a PVC sticker that he cut out by hand. Yes, by hand. I’m never cutting anything by hand now that I own a laser!

50 Likes

Ooooo, that “bug” looks great! As does the whole project. I’m guessing your co-workers all want one now.

1 Like

wow it looks really cool. I like the design and the engraving is really neat, was it just a grayscale image that was engraved?

1 Like

Bummer the computer’s performance didn’t improve, but its looks definitely improved!

1 Like

Looks amazing!

How did you attach it to the computer?

Never mind - veneer. Duh.

1 Like

Oh that’s nice! How did you get the color range effect on the logo? That looks lighter than the surrounding material. :grinning:

1 Like

That’s because you went for a classy look… if you want the graphics to make the computer go faster, you need racing stripes

7 Likes

Nicest upgrade ever!

Speed holes. He needs speed holes.

2 Likes

And some Carbon Fiber accouterments :smile:

I just love the way walnut engraves. Very professional looking.

That is beautiful, which is something I never thought I’d say of a thinkpad. :grinning:

@Jules and @Dia,
I started with a vector that had a gradient fill (black to white). Tried to upload that as is, but Glowforge gave me a warning that they don’t accept vector gradients yet. The warning recommended that I rasterize the vector gradient. Result: an embedded greyscale image in my Illustrator file that still had the gradient. The Glowforge UI interpreted it no problem.
Note: the rasterized image is slightly fuzzy at the edges compared to the original vector. So, when I chose to score the outside edge of the bug to give it more “pop”, the score did not align perfectly. Now I know not to score the outside edge of a raster/bitmap image.

2 Likes

@john.m.gaffney,
Proofgrade veneer comes with 3M double sided tape on the backside. So, I cleaned my computer with denatured alcohol, peeled off the protective layer, aligned the best I could and pressed out all the air bubbles. Done!

4 Likes

The gradient logo looks spectacular with the walnut grain peeking through.