Concealed Boxes

@kizby I made one for my husband’s birthday. Found the lid design on Etsy, and was going to do a painted design on a darker wood for the lid panel. Decided it was time to try sublimating on acrylic and gave it a go. I would have liked the wood better. However, at least I tried out the acrylic sublimation. :slight_smile:

I used 3M 467MP tape to attach to the end piece. Also, a few dots of super glue where the flat end of the panel touched the wood end.

I had small round magnets on hand, so used those in place of the larger rectangle magnets. My husband loved it. Thank you, Dave!

6 Likes

You are so very welcome! That looks AWSOME!!!

1 Like

Hi PJ,

You had said that you used sublimation on the conceal box for your husband. I was wondering if you had tried sublimating on wood. Would it even be possible? I do not have such a machine, but I was wondering if it would be possible and what it would look like.

Thank you,

Dave

Hi Dave! I haven’t tried it on wood, but have seen YouTube videos where people used various things.

Here is one:

I think I’ll try using a laminate sheet sometime, but I think I’d rather get some in a matte finish to try.

Dedicated printer, sublimation ink, sublimation paper, special sheets and powder to print on cotton, etc., etc. Happy to answer any questions. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! If you were to recommend a machine and equipment, what would you recommend? About what would a good setup cost? What are some ongoing costs?

Many people buy Saw Grass printers. You can now buy Epson printers meant for sublimation. I personally bought an Epson ET-16600 standard inkjet printer. Mainly so I could do up to 13" x 19" prints. You have to start with Sublimation Ink from the start. Some people have purged their printers, and then added the sublimation ink. I opted to start new. Plus, I really like the Eco-Tank printers for easy ink fills.

There are a lot of brands of papers and inks. Once you decide on an ink, you don’t change brands. Although, I’ve heard you can purge and then start with new ink.

I went with Cosmos Ink and use A-Sub paper. Typically, you print on polyesters, or something that has been given a coating to be able to sublimate.

You also need a heat press. I have a 15"x15" that I’ve had for seven years, and it works quite well for me. Depending on what you’re going to press, you may decide you need a larger heat press, a slide-out tray, or a swing away arm, or an auto-open. Prices range greatly by what feature you want. For large presses, I use a large sheet of cardboard to be able to move the project without shifting. Some people use thin sheets of wood.

I use A-Sub Sublimation paper. Purchased in three sizes.
Lint roller and microfiber cloth
Heat gloves
Heat tape for sublimation with dispenser
Butcher paper
Parchment paper (depending on project)

Then I always go a bit overboard, so that I can do most anything that I might want. So, I have a mug press, a tumbler press, and a hat press. Obviously, if you’re only interested in wood … you wouldn’t need any other presses.

I use Siser Easy-Subli to print on cotton fabrics. I’ve printed directly to it (non-mirrored) or I’ve applied it to the fabric and then used the A-Sub paper to sublimate onto the Easy-Subli.

To cut intricate things I have a Silhouette Cameo 4 Pro to cut things out.

Long reply. Sorry. It helps to know exactly what you want to do with the sublimation. YouTube has a LOT of videos. I watched videos and read everything I could before taking the leap. I price shopped for every little thing to find the best prices. Including a lot of blanks.

I have three sizes of tumblers, 15 oz cups, towels, puzzles, mouse pads, fabric to make yard flags, polyester t-shirts in all sizes. Like I said, I go a bit overboard.

It’s been a lot of fun. If it helps to discuss something further, shoot me a message and we can talk on the phone. There are people on the forum that have done wood. So, if you’re only interested in wood … they might be a better group to question.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely start looking into it.

1 Like

Wow, that’s an impressive setup!

2 Likes

I tend to go overboard. :frowning:

Cake decorating … every tip, pan, and thing-a-ma-jig.

Get an embroidery/sewing machine … get every foot/hoop/extra attachments/software/300+ spools of thread. Over-sized cabinet for the machine, dedicated cutting table & oversize ironing board.

Get a Glowforge … get every type of wood/acrylic/mini-tools/gadgets/paints/dyes/adhesives/doo-dads.

Serger … because sometimes you just want to learn something new. Fortunately, mine came with every foot. Yet another machine cabinet.

Get a Silhouette … get every type of paper/specialty papers/adhesives/etc. Get a larger Silhouette 4 Pro to cut large fabric pieces for quilt. (Currently making a drop-leaf table to put it on, as it’s huge).

Let’s make cards … stamp sets, embossing powders/embossing folders/Copics/Karin brushmarkers/Zig Clean Color markers/water colors (multiple types, of course)/more adhesives/more papers.

Sublimation … stated earlier.

At least a thousand things not mentioned, and organization is another whole thing.

But, when one of the grandchildren or anyone else says, “Are you able to …?” I can say, YES, I CAN!

My husband is very supportive of all the things. Thank goodness!

8 Likes

I wish we lived closer. I’m exactly the same, and don’t know anybody locally that is just as crazy :smile:

BTW, I didn’t see 3D printing on that list. You’re missing out!

5 Likes

I usually tend to do the same. I figure you have to go overboard so you can do it all and get the full experience! LOL

2 Likes

I do have an Ender 3. I worked in Fusion 360 a bit, mostly made freebie files. Made about a dozen things. The new resin printers have had my eye for some time. I need to meet some personal goals before adding one. :grinning:

Wish we lived closer, too! We’d have a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Yes! Exactly! Who wants to just do a halfway setup?

2 Likes

This is great - thank you so much!!

1 Like

Thank you! Welcome to the community. :wink:

Thank you so much!