"Containment Breach" diorama piece

Hi Everyone! Forgive the longer post but I’ve heard y’all enjoy the insight in to my pieces. I’ve been wanting to do a laboratory of some kind, something futuristic with some exposed wiring panels and things of the such. Once I figured out the microscope and petri dish and bits and bobs, I needed something to be studying. I was playing with the hot glue and getting some really interesting organic shapes, and I came up with this penta-tentacled encephalopod creature. Which then needed a home, and that was interesting trying to see how many different varieties of alien plants and mushrooms I could invent. But then the setting needed some action, so I made a story that a literature professor could analyze symbolism out the whazoo to go with it. So please enjoy this short movie scene…

It’s 300 years in the future. Humanity has mastered space travel/warp speed, and a research facility has been set up on planet Proxima B in the habitable zone of Alpha Centauri. Research Bay 23 specializes in local biology and botany, and the researchers have discovered miraculous regenerative abilities in the local marsh-dwelling penta-pods. The researcher wants to test the regenerative capabilities of a young penta-pod (don’t worry, they grow back just as well as adult parts, albeit still cruel and painful, but that’s what humans do, unfortunately). It nonetheless angers the adult specimen to the point where it breaks through the containment glass and embarks on a dramatic rescue mission.

I used the forge to cut some of the microscope pieces out of medium PG draftboard, the counter panels and window frame from 1/16" chipboard, engraved and cut the window from medium PG clear acrylic, and the goggles and petri dish also from the same acrylic. The rest is all hot glue, cardstock, straws, toothpicks, paperclips, thin acetate sheets, jewelry wire…the more creative inclusions are the climate control fan in the enclosure being a cap from an apple sauce pouch, and the logs being blue nerf darts painted and then scratched to reveal some of that alien blue wood.

I haven’t decided on my next piece yet, if I can master cutting glue sticks in to crystals, I might do another research bay as a Department of Geology tie-in. Maybe, we’ll see. At any rate, thank you for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

60 Likes

That’s fabulous

8 Likes

Bulletproof

7 Likes

Wow! The breakout was deserved in my opinion! Go penta-pod!

7 Likes

Oh, my goodness. You’ve done it again!

5 Likes

Awesome!

4 Likes

Really nice display. The more I look at it, the more things I am finding. Thanks for sharing this.

6 Likes

Amazing! I admire your design, creativity and most of all patience in assembling it. Thanks for sharing.

6 Likes

I can’t get enough of this. So much fun and incredible detail!

6 Likes

Truly amazing!

4 Likes

You even included “Blinking Tubes without a Function”.

12 Likes

You have the ability to make your imagination into real objects! The goggles are really good. What do you use to add color to the hot glue? Or do you make the shapes and then color them?

6 Likes

Wow, thank you for the write-up and the details in your picture look amazing

5 Likes

Oh my, you just keep getting better and better at your creativity and techniques! This one is so much fun to see! Can’t wait to see what you do next!

7 Likes

Great work! I love the level of detail, such as the “Do not tap on glass” sticker.

The back story brings it to life. At risk of offense, I’ll offer an embellishment: Considering all the pent-up pentapods in there, I think the researchers would fondly refer to the containment chamber as “the penthouse.”

9 Likes

This is SO COOL!!!

4 Likes

Oh gosh, I just love all of this, and especially your imagination!

What would happen if I tapped on the glass?

7 Likes

HAHA!!! Yes I did!

3 Likes

I shape the stuff first, which sometimes involves trying to kneed and shape molten glue that has cooled just enough but not too much, and then once it’s hardened I’ll either paint with acrylics or hit with a sharpie if I want a more shiny and translucent effect.

5 Likes

Custodial would be very upset about finger prints. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes