I was trying to figure out the engrave settings to cut through 80lb cardstock to make a stencil when I ran across what is either a bug or a feature request. All of the following was done using Inkscape 0.91. The file TestEngrave.svg is a box with a stroke of 0.2 mm, a line with a stroke of 0.5 mm and two crossed lines with a stroke of 0.5 mm and a length of 14.465 mm. The two crossed lines I converted to paths and then combined. I was hoping the GFUI would recognize the crossed lines as an engrave, it didn’t (but that is not the issue.) The straight line and the box I setup as cuts. I selected Convert to Engrave for the crossed lines. I tried increasingly powerful settings for the engrave, but when I got to speed 200, full power, 225 lpi & 1 pass I knew something was wrong: absolutely no marking of the crossed lines. The laser head acted like it was trying to engrave but as you can see from the photo it did nothing. I then made the TestEngrave2.svg file. To do this I deleted the crossed lines and replaced them with two crossed rectangles of length 14.465 mm and width of 0.5 mm: no stroke, black fill. I dialed back the engrave settings to speed 400, full power, 225 lpi and 1 pass. If you look at the photo this was too much power. Settings of 600 speed, full power, 125 lpi and 1 pass created the third stencil in the photo. I set the focus to 0.02 for cuts and engraves.
Perhaps the convert to engrave wasn’t meant to do this, but it’s clearly not doing anything for this use case. As for my stencil, the parts that needed engraving were recognized by the GFUI as engraves and I am good to go. I am not looking for an answer, just reporting this.
And my test files. TestEngrave.svg