Cookie Cutter Project

Oh yum!

I hope you got to sample the final product for all your great work.

I used to use ca glue whilst making dollshouse leaded windows. I would bond small panes cut from 35mm slide glass, bond them together with Loctite glass bonding stuff (Iā€™m sorry, but I canā€™t remember the name of the product,) and glue strips of lead to them. I made the windows in batches over the course of two or three days. After about twelve to eighteen months I was getting what I can only describe as a weird feeling under my fingernails which coincided with 'flu like symptoms.

I changed the method of making these windows which negated the use of ā€˜superā€™ glue and also the lead strips. Since I stopped using ca glue the symptoms have ceased.

Iā€™m sure that the vast majority of people can use ca without any harmful effects, but some folk canā€™t (including me!) and I would hate to have an overzealous fist aider treating me with it.

Could it have been the lead? Thatā€™s a known nasty toxin.

3 Likes

Might be hard to speak if the tongue is welded to the mouth

3 Likes

Could be, but Iā€™ve used lead by itself since and have had no recurrence of the symptoms.

1 Like

The led came was traditional, but I believe it was Tiffany that wrapped each edge in copper and soldered the edges together. For doll house size, either would be a real challenge, but I would guess that if tou cut out heavy paper with the Glowforge and then fastened it with clear laquer and used sharpies for the colors, you could have a very nice result.

1 Like

Guess they couldnā€™t find any volunteers to eat it so they could find out for sure. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what I did. I used 1/4" copper tape, cut into strips, then soldered.

2 Likes

I love the ā€œalmost impossible to swallowā€ part. Huh?

1 Like

The eye treatment explanation was the one that got to me.

ā€œIf eyelids are bonded closed, release eyelashes with warm water by
covering with a wet pad. Do not force eye open. Cyanoacrylate will bond to
eye protein and will cause a lachrymatory effect which will help to debond the
adhesive. Keep eye covered until debonding is complete, usually within 1-3
daysā€

5 Likes

We use CA glue all the time (heck my wife says she can rebuild an entire patient with Gelfoam and Dermabond glue - heck she often closes with a subcuticular suture, and if there is a small ā€œdog earā€ at the end of the suture line, she can glue that under for appearances/scar purposes) for repairing lacerations. Just not supposed to use near the eyes. Itā€™s a fantastic product and comes in a little felt-tied marker like product. A generic version comes in a plastic tube with a breakable capsule inside with a foam ball at the end. Typically it is colored purple so you can see it. There is normally a nylon forceps in the pack to oppose the sides of the wound without gluing your hands to the patientā€¦ They actually had to lock it away at our hospital because docs and nurses were using it for every paper cut, etc since it seals against hospital bugsā€¦ Of course this is free of all the nasty heavy metals and solvents the wood versions have.

https://www.ethicon.com/na/products/wound-closure/skin-adhesives/dermabond-advanced-topical-skin-adhesive

6 Likes

I am glad they have expanded the use but not aware of the metals issue with the commercial stuff, though I suppose solvents can always be problematic as much is secret. It was very controversial years ago.

1 Like

I mean they put in all sorts of stuff to get better surface adhesion on metal objects and wood. Not like you have to work hard to get CA to stick to skin! SO luckily they can remove all those additives.

2 Likes

When I was four, Norwegian doctors glued my head back together. Apparently my mom expressed concern, as she had never heard of skin-bonding glue and expected that I would be getting stitches. And apparently the doctors said something along the lines of ā€œwell we could stab him in the head a bunch of times with a needle, you would have to keep the area clean and monitor for infection and then have come back in a few weeks to remove stitches with a pair of forcepsā€¦ or we could just glue it up and be done.ā€

5 Likes

I use Super Glue to glue cracks in my finger tips and heels all the time to help healing and stop pain. Itā€™s a result of callouses and frequent hand washing as I clean project gunk off my hands. I certainly hope that Iā€™m not poisoning myself with heavy metals. :nauseated_face:

Which got me thinking. I had an arterial bypass graft in June, and it hadnā€™t occurred to me until now, but there are no stitch marks on either my chest or my leg where the donor artery was removed. Maybe it was done by magic, or by cyanoacrylate glue.

I will attempt, in the interests of research, to try superglue again. If I have no symptoms after trying this, I will be delighted!

I will keep you posted on the results.

Maybe you could use a little fan to move the air away from you while you work next time? Itā€™s easy to forget about ventilation with superglue (such a tiny little tube, how can it have that much stinky?) and then the leaning over the work so the fumes go straight up into your eyesā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll try that.

Has anyone tried to make cutters at least 1/2" deep? Maybe glue together two layers of 1/4" sides? Would that hold?