My wife has a cookie project that required these characters, so I suggested using the GF. The one she was thinking of buying online had been done on a 3D printer. I wanted to better that one. I tried two techniques. 1) deep engraving the whole piece. 2) shallow engraving and in two pieces.
Getting the deep engrave “right’ took some testing. Apparently, it took a few more than I gave it. Mostly, it worked fine. The edge was designed too thin (by me) so it didn’t survive the engrave plus cut on all edges. I also got a line pattern in areas that should have been uniformly engraved. I’m not sure why that happened. Those areas were a solid, filled vector. Probably should have done another defocused pass to clean that up.
Next, I tried a shallow engrave method. For this one, I just cut the edge and then glued it to the impression piece. This is 1/4” acrylic, so that allows up to a 1/4” dough thickness. The shallower engraves were cleaner.
Scraps from another project were used to glue the two pieces together.
The latter method seems to be easier and more predictable vs. the deep engrave.
My wife is thrilled so far. I’ll update this post after she uses them on dough.