Cool thing on Etsy, hand cranked horse

Hey folks,

Just saw this guy on Etsy. Out of Australia. I just think it’s really cool!

31 Likes

beautiful. This is kind of what I’d like to find in the catalog or something, along with a set of instructions about how to put it all together. I don’t know if I could design anything like this (well, not yet anyway)

4 Likes

Automata is awesome. I have been pretty excited about the GF and want to make some of these. This is one of my favorites I found on youtube but there are tons of others from the very simple to the overly complex.

25 Likes

Holy cow!!

5 Likes

http://www.derekhugger.com/colibri.html

Is a beautiful flapping bird is my favorite. I know myself and a few others have posted the plans. At 100$ I may pass on ever making that one

Edit: found the link from someone else

3 Likes

That is awesome. The gears moving is mesmerizing. I can see why it is so expensive. :relaxed:

4 Likes

No - it’s horse … :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I adore Automata. This guy is one of my favorites and his work is amazing! A lot of this can be done with lasers and it’s one of the projects I hope to try with my GF.

This is one of my favorite of his

13 Likes

That guy is like automation meets claymation. That is insane.

2 Likes

Wow! The giant squid expressing gratitude is a nice touch.
Wonderful dedication!

2 Likes

This guy has some incredible work. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I think maybe I posted this a long time ago, but Brad Litwin makes amazing automata.

19 Likes

Truly amazing. I notice that one of them is an Antikythera. I’d love to peek under the hood of one of his cards.

6 Likes

There’s laser involved.

12 Likes

Now that was very enjoyable. It was also interesting to hear his discussion of the pricing; I’m sure many here can identify with that.

2 Likes

How would we build this bird on a glowforge? Would we use the trace function on the paper plans or try to import them into a 3D tool?

1 Like

He has PDF and I think DXF . So I think DXF can be brought into GF interface. If DXF can’t, then both DXF and I think PDF can be brought in through inkscape, converted to SVG, then into GF.

My best guess. The sample PDF is really nice, haven’t looked at the sample DXF

1 Like

That’s an announced to be expected capability (DXF to GF) but I think it’s still constrained to SVG. One of the pre-releasers should be able to clarify.

2 Likes