Cooling for over an hour

If you can section off the area of the shop around the unit (clear plastic shower curtains on a ceiling track would work) - then you won’t need much of an AC unit to cool the small area. I think someone else was planning something similar, and it’s an efficient idea.

1 Like

I have my Glowforge hose vented out one window directly behind the unit, the to the left, in an adjacent window, I have the duct hose going out from a portable AC that sits under the countertop. Seems to be working just great. We’ve been in the 90’s for many days in a row, now and I sort of tested this all out by running the AC during the day while using the Glowforge. Not a great test though, as I didn’t use it without the AC running. :roll_eyes:

I think I will try and section off a part of the room, which is a shame because it’s the only thing in the room that looks cool and shiny. I might look and see if there is a closet that will fit it. I could just chill that closet down really cool. It’s gonna be extra work either way but hopefully I can get it to work. It’s pretty but an expensive paper weight at this point.

1 Like

We know what they mean, but I think this is worded backwards and may confuse some people who are not forum followers. If they are referring to the UNACCEPTABLE operating temperatures, that wording would be correct. If they are referring to the ACCEPTABLE operating temperature range, the manual should instead state “Above 60 degrees…or under 75 degrees…” etc. @Dan, you need to correct manual text.

4 Likes

Any idea what kind of temps and environment you’re actually working with?

I’m still curious about if the firmware update had been received. Their really should be an area, maybe under settings, where one could check the version of the GF UI and GF firmware loaded. Have you tried printing again today?

Even with the shades, you might still get a bit of radiant heat in the immediate area. Maybe walk around with a thermometer and see if you have any cool(er) spots? Instant read meat thermometer would make this easier.

@gmckayca : I agree, it’s definitely worded poorly and should be revised.

I’m really hoping there’s a way to view machine information and diagnostics like the firmware version, current coolant temperature, total laser run time, serial number, production date, calibration date, etc.

1 Like

I’ll try again when I get home. I can borrow one of those temp guns I think. I have a temp/humidity type thing I can use for now. I’ll report back with what I can find. I did get it connected to my wifi so if it auto updates it should have been able to do that.

1 Like

Yes. I don’t think this says what they think it says…,

1 Like

The air intake is on the right side of your Glowforge unit. Could you please tell us the temperature there? Putting a thermometer there for a few minutes should tell you.

1 Like

The thermometer has the room temp at 76 but now I’m running into a calibration issue. The head keeps going over to the left and grinding against the rail. It does this over and over with a few seconds between each time. It’s like it doesn’t sense that it’s at the limit. I’m going to try and upload a video but will most likely start a separate threat as this is a second issue. https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/sUUz3CcKXyDgKm5sY6DiImbgTr.MOV

Please be sure the unit is off before moving the head. But, as @joe recommended, definitely let support know either via a thread here or an email.

2 Likes

I had the exact same thing happen when I first got this unit. I have video of it. It happened when I first selected a WiFi connection. As a matter of fact, I was working on another issue last night and tried re-selecting the WiFi connection and it did it again! Except this time I recognized it immediately and rebooted. It didn’t do it again.

Two things:
Moving the head to the middle under the camera is the solution to the crash. When it crashed first I did what I remember doing on startup and put it in the top right corner. Not sure if it was written up in the manual or not to put it under the camera. In any case it should be clear in the manual what to do. I can think of several different ways the Glowforge might keep itself from crashing. It seems like it was only moving left and not up or down. The track was not under the camera so it didn’t see it go by. If the camera can see the track I’d add that before moving left if that makes sense. I’m sure they can figure it out. When I built my 3d printer kit I had to figure this same problem out and I’m just a hobbyist.

I did get the printer to print. The temp was at 79 at it’s peak. It got through a ruler no problem but I’ll try a longer print tonight.

Hope the firmware updates come soon!

4 Likes

There is a video where Dan put a coffee mug in the way of the head and boasted the machine could detect colliding with it and halt. I don’t understand why then it can’t tell that it is banging its head on the left when it has both accelerometers and two cameras that could tell it. It really worries me when simple fundamental problems like this don’t get fixed in months or years. How can you put a machine in production before it can reliably home? It should have been sorted out right at the beginning of development, not after machines are being delivered.

8 Likes

A limit switch would be nice. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I have 11 CNC machines with $1 limit switches and they all home reliably.

1 Like

Apparently they don’t believe limit switches are needed. There has been some other discussions on this. I would imagine they should put them in even as a fail safe since the gantry has some force. Even a software glitch might prevent the camera from recognizing the head traveling by.

Can’t help wondering what they’d say if the unit gets damaged this way when a user just happens to have non-proof grade material on the bed…

2 Likes

Yah. My tone of sarcasm got lost on that one. I’m in the camp that believes in limit switches. The K40s don’t have them. Doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea.

2 Likes

How do K40’s home?

Actually, they may have one on one side, and not the other, I headcrash it all the time on the right hand side, it’s not smart enough to understand it’s own print margins.

2 Likes