Cooling notice now for 8 days (Yellow light)

My system has now been on a cooling status for the last 8 days. That evening the first batch of cutting went smoothly. When I changed out the materials for the next batch, the system started to run then gave me the yellow light and the system stated that it was cooling down.

I have had times in the past where the system needed to cool. I just waited and left it go. I had one time before where the yellow light had come on last year. But in a day or so I had upgraded the cooling in the area and made sure it was below the requested 70ish degrees needed to work well.

This time the yellow light has come on and nothing has changed. The ambient temperature is below 70 and it goes straight to yellow light and a cooling notice within seconds of the system turning on.

I have not been able to get this message to clear off and have the unit realize its cooler than it needs to be.

My exhaust fan was thoroughly cleaned the day before and the I had no issues engraving and cutting acrylic for trophies the first go around. Is there a sensor or thermometer that could be malfunctioning?

There are a number of sensors, so yes (:frowning: ) that could definitely be your problem. A staff member can see what’s up from the background and now that you’ve posed here you’ve opened a ticket so they’ll be on it ASAP. They do try to get to completely unusable machines as quickly as possible so fingers crossed you hear soon!

1 Like

A problem that often shows up is not actually the temperature but the ribbon connecting the head and the plug in is extremely sensitive to any kind of bad connection and can look fine but turn out to be the problem particularly showing up as a overheating problem. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Do you know where this connection is coming from? I can look over the connection, clean it and reset it in place.

For starters try reconnecting the cable to the head. I had mine come loose once and got the same error. But it could also be the the ribbon cable at the back of the lid.

1 Like

Just looking at all the folks talking about yellow light is a clue

I got my first warning this week.

You mention having cleaned the exhaust fan. Did you check the other two fans? There is a tiny fan on the back of the head, and a medium sized fan at the back of the carriage. You have to take the head off of the carriage, the belt off the gantry, and the carriage off the gantry, in order to get to the mid-sized one.

Check the instructions under Cleaning Your Air Assist Fan, here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning

Both fans were also cleaned at the same time. Both were working great without any resistance. I verified this with a can of compressed air, with allowed the fans to spin fast and freely.

I clean them as part of routine maintenance.

I will check the ribbon at the back of the lid as well. The ribbon connecting to the head is clean and clear.

B503C57C19D642E58104615C10A57F0E.png

I’m so sorry for the trouble.

I’ve got a couple things for you to check out, (some of which it sounds like you’ve already checked,) but including some photos might help us diagnose the situation.

First, check the head cable connection. (It sounds like you’ve already checked this but I’d like to see the photo).

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

1. Send us the photo of the gold pins from step 4.

Next up, can you send me a couple photos of the inside of your Glowforge:

1. Turn your Glowforge off

2. Remove the crumb tray

3. Take photos of:

• Left Side

• Laser Arm

• Right Side

• Front door

• Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

• Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

• Also on the left side, a photo of the little green board next to the pump

Turn your Glowforge back on.

Post those photos here, or send them to us at support@glowforge.com, and we’ll follow up with next steps.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for sending us those photos. I have reached out in email about next steps, so I am going to close this thread.