Copper House Numbers

Sometimes the contribution of the laser is less obvious :slightly_smiling_face: I’m constantly delighted at how well GF fits in with traditional techniques, it’s such a great addition to the toolbox.
(Sorry, we still can’t cut metal. But you can cheat some repoussé with the GF’s help!)

Finished and waxed, final touches will be a light buffing and perhaps an oak frame.

The base is comprised of two layers of 1/8" Baltic birch ply cut in GF. Top layer is artwork, bottom layer is a solid rectangle with a misplaced score (user error) to align the top pieces. Rotary tool used to soften the forms of the animals.

The ply gets wrapped in 5mil copper foil and hammered into shape with the help of assorted doming punches.

Copper patina solution applied. After 24 hours this gets sanded with steel wool to bring back some contrast.

149 Likes

This is spectacular! Really inspiring.

3 Likes

:exploding_head:

^ Best way to describe what’s happening. Phenomenal work. I would have never guessed that this was done with the help of the GF. Once again I find myself being blown away by the creativity of others here.

10 Likes

You nailed the craftsman look. It’s beautiful!

7 Likes

Great write-up and a wonderful project!

3 Likes

I love it!

3 Likes

Amazing! WOW! That’s something new in the Forum! Well done!

5 Likes

Amazing! Nice to see the diversity and possibilities you can achieve with GF. Thanks for another awesome idea GF family

4 Likes

Very nice work.

4 Likes

The result is great! The process is something that will spur creativity bursts in this group. Thank you.

10 Likes

Looks amazing … Very artistic!

5 Likes

No idea you could do that! Looks awesome. And I see you have the same rotary tool I just bought. useful thing!!!

5 Likes

Just lovely! Another inspiration, the creativity here blows me away.

2 Likes

What a cool technique! And the end result is fantastic - I love it!

2 Likes

This technique might be possible to adapt with aluminum foil to make a silvery version… aluminum may tear too easily. hmm.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your technique. Very cool, and the sign looks amazing.

2 Likes

Actually not all aluminum foil is created equal. Extra Heavy duty is much thicker than your typical “foil sheet”.

you might consider going to a food supply/restaurant place or some such to get heavier foil.

I personally would think about getting a couple of foil cookie sheets and use that.

Chris

4 Likes

I’d look at aluminum flashing too - pretty malleable stuff.

3 Likes

I learn new things in the forum all the time. Beautiful piece. I would never have guessed the technique. And now, off to research this process.

Thank you so much for sharing this project!

6 Likes

oh yea. I haven’t ever used that. it would be at least cut to width :slight_smile:

2 Likes