Copper

Found a few references to putting copper into the GF. What I would like to know is if reflectiveness will even be an issue if I’ve coated the piece with LaserBond 100? Seems to me if there’s a coating on the piece to begin with, that it wouldn’t be a problem…but want to check first since I’ve never tried any marking materials.

1 Like

As long as the laser does not hit the copper directly it will not be a problem. If you are removing the coating you are running a risk, if the coating is being fused and staying in place you will be fine.

3 Likes

Perfect! That’s sort of what I was thinking. Thanks, Ben.

Thank you for asking this, I’ve been wondering exactly the same thing. Safe to assume this would be true for Cermark too?

1 Like

I think it would be the same. They’re both marking mediums, so I think as long as the metal is well covered, there would be no reflectivity. Wishing us both good luck with marking copper!

2 Likes

I understand that copper is a near perfect mirror for the wavelength of the glowforge, so if I were to attempt it, I would probably tilt the material slightly to angle any reflection away from the lens… :thinking:

3 Likes