Cord shortener/organizer

I saw something similar to this in Pinterest and really liked it, so I decided to design my own. The original looked to be around 3/4” thick and had a slightly different shape (more like an infinity symbol). I made mine with 1/8” acrylic sandwiched between PG cherry plywood. The idea is to shorten your cord run in a less unsightly way.

These will be used as gifts, so I included a cord scrap to show what they are for.

52 Likes

Huh, those are sharp, nice design sense. Gluing wood and acrylic layers is always appealing. What kind of glue did you use?

10 Likes

I shouldn’t have said “glued,” because what I actually used was 3M mounting adhesive 2-sided tape. I cut it to the shape after the fact when I realized I didn’t want to use glue. If I’d been using my head I would have stuck it to the acrylic before cutting it and saved myself some minor fitting aggravation.

14 Likes

Technically you didn’t say glued at all – I just assumed, so you’re all good :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That looks great! I’d seen those on Pinterest as well, but I think yours looks more classy. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmmm… I make anything like that I’m using it. dang sure not turning it loose. LOL

very well done.

3 Likes

Ooh, something like that would work nicely with my upcoming French cleat shop organization strategy. I was going to stuff the cords in pieces of PVC, but now that just feels tacky! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I would endlessly squeeze the middle section, so these could double as a fidget toy as well :wink:

5 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes

Good idea. Did you include a notch to keep the cord taught?

4 Likes

Great idea! Any particular reason you chose to use adhesive instead of glue? I must admit that the adhesive discussion has been an eye catcher. As a sloppy gluer alternatives are always interesting.

4 Likes

I’ve made a lot of cord organizers and they are all pretty lackluster. These are sharp!

4 Likes

I’m a sloppy gluer. :laughing:

2 Likes

The acrylic really dresses it up, and I really like the shape.

2 Likes

Genius! I love this idea!