CorelDraw Users Support Group

I rediscovered it yesterday when looking for a macro to add a hairline outline around every element of a bitmap trace that matches the color of the element. Found one for free then started poking around other CorelDRAW add-ins.

I had seen it before but never gave it much thought. Now that I have a vinyl printer/cutter, a CNC router, and will soon have a laser engraver, I’m looking more closely at it. I found some pretty positive reviews of it. I’m particularly looking forward to the nesting. The RIP software for my printer/cutter does a pretty good job with rectangular objects but not as good with other shapes.

2 Likes

I just bought it. I ended up buying form MacroMonster. From reading reviews on various Corel, CNC, and other forums, it seemed like there might be a better buying experience and possibly better relationship between MacroMonster and the developer.

It’s pretty cool. So far, I have played with the customizable puzzle piece creator and the finger joint box maker (complete with kerf compensation capabilities).

There’s a ton of stuff in here that anyone using CorelDRAW for laser, vinyl, or CNC should take a closer look at: nesting, find duplicates, DXF export, trim and contour tools, and a bunch more.

Here are some links to more details of the features:
http://macromonster.com/ecutdetails.htm
http://www.eng.e-cut.ru/index.php (see the Functions dropdown)

10 Likes

Very cool! I wonder if there is something similar for Illustrator? As a Mac user I’m out of luck with CorelDraw.

1 Like

There is an Illustrator version but it appears to be only for Windows and may not have all the functionality.

http://illustrator.e-cut.ru/

2 Likes

Just saw this webinar posted on Facebook. I thought some of you might find it interesting. I’m going to try to attend. While it’s really hard to tell from the link, it appears to be an official CorelDRAW presentation.

Here’s the description:
“In this webinar I’ll be going through CorelDraw X8 and focus on the basics. Along the way we will look at other things that are specific to laser engraving. As most attendees probably also use other workflows, we’ll take a look at some things for sublimation, embroidery and other verticals. In this 2 hour session there will be time for Q&A along the way and at the end as well. The session will be recorded.”

Thu, Feb 23, 2017 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM EST

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3591980623643229441

6 Likes

If it’s like most webinars, they’ll post it to YouTube a day or two after.

Yeah, the signup page said it will be recorded. I may take that option because the time will cut into my Big Bang Theory watching time.

4 Likes

Hey thanks for this! Nice find! Probably useful info to be learned regardless of application preference.

1 Like

Whoa! So you’re the one who still watches live TV! :wink:

1 Like

Yup. I supposed I could record the show on my VCR.

3 Likes

I remember those! But I got my first DVR back in the 20th century and never looked back. That was my good ol’ 40GB TiVo. I definitely will never miss VCRs. :slight_smile:

I went digital a few years ago but I did pack away my video tapes including some fresh blank stock and a VCR to play them on in a box for my kids when I’m old or dead. Figured there might not be machines available then so it was important to put the machine & cables, etc in the box too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll have to look around. Sometime last year I prepped my last VCR and Dual-Deck Cassette player for the trash. But now I can’t remember if I could bring myself to put them in the trash or if I hid them in the basement or garage or something.

1 Like

Splindid idea!
Still have one, and home movies to go with. The VCR weighs maybe 3 pounds.
I compare that with my first one, a Quasar top loader that must have weighed 40 pounds. That beaute cost $1000 and had a remote control - (with a 15’ wire!)

Makes me reflect how quickly storage formats have evolved, and how freaking old I’m getting…
From the inside, I still feel like a twenty year old - it’s when I look in the mirror the reality crushes that illusion :grimacing:

2 Likes

+100 on that! :slight_smile: I have kids older than I feel like I am.

1 Like

And all it did was “pause”

3 Likes

Let’s hope the recording is better than the live webinar that I’m on right now. Been one technical issue after another. Choppy audio, delays in the video, CorelDRAW crashed on him…

Yeah. I was in it too. Picked up a couple of cool things that I hadn’t realized were in X8. I’m hoping for his redone recording. Whatever he did near the end he sounded like he was in my living room :slight_smile:

Sounded like a nice guy.

1 Like

I dropped out before the end but I was picking up a few tidbits.

He said it was down 2/3 by the time it wrapped up at 930. Said he had 120ish sign up, 60 start and down to 20 at the end. He said he was going to re-do it in his studio from start to finish so it’s a clean session.

He’s got a course on Lynda.com (linda.com/rogerwambolt) that’s almost 4 hours long.

1 Like