Cork coaster set

Beautiful! I have wood supply envy.

3 Likes

Some amazing grain in that wood. I keep putting the nice gran for later use because i don’t want to mess it up with engraving.

3 Likes

The effort and thought you put into it alone made is special, but the end product is really wonderful. Well done.

3 Likes

Box is so good

3 Likes

I think it’s called chatoyancy. Beautiful box. I really need to try working with some hardwoods. That hand-rubbed finish is just so special, and can’t be achieved with any prefinished wood, as nice as the Proofgrade is.

4 Likes

I think so too. :wink:

5 Likes

I did a double take looking at the coasters first… then, scrolling down, I saw the box and thought, yes that is so @evansd2.

3 Likes

First of all I’m honor to inspire @evansd2 the one that normally inspires me. Next: Beautiful Box! I love the figure in the walnut. I sometime struggle with wanting to make a box that looks like a solid block but if you use thin stock you never see end grain. The high figure in the wood that you chose eliminates that issue for me. I also think the “pillow corners” is an interesting feature. It makes me want pick up and feel the box.

No big deal but:

Reminded me of the State Farm Commercial : She sounds hideous…Well, she’s a guy…so… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That walnut really is stunning. Talk about upscaling those Ikea coasters!

2 Likes

Yeah that aspect really pleased me too. I mean, why reinvent the wheel there, those coasters are heavy and inexpensive. I checked my local IKEA stock before I went, they had “over 500 in stock”, so I figured I was good. :wink:

2 Likes

This is truly beautiful. You put so much thought in to your projects. Your dad will display this proudly.

2 Likes

Maybe too much so? He asked me for some plain coasters because the Red Sox coasters were too nice to use. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

What a great project - I really like the sanded corners/edges. It gives a much warmer feel to the box (if that makes sense).

3 Likes

That’s some amazing work you’ve done there!!

3 Likes

Reminds me too - I need to make something for my inlaw’s anniversary - also Boston Red Socks fans. Thanks for the notion, I would not have thought of it otherwise…

4 Likes

I have these same coasters from Ikea all over my house lol. Very nicely done!

3 Likes

Me too. I use them to hold the Glowforge hold down pins, paper clips and all sorts of bits and baubles. Sometimes I use them as coasters even,

5 Likes

First, awesome. Presumably, because that is all you know.

Second, the final shot needs a :banana:. Unless the coasters are the size of dinner plates, then never mind. A closeup on a bistro table does strange things to my brain’s vision center.

Finally, amazing.

3 Likes

Alas, no banana in the pics. The coasters are about 4" diameter.

1 Like

I can understand your Dad not wanting to use the set … It’s stunning!

Your posts are also food for the soul.

3 Likes