Corner detail

Absolutely beautiful.

Question - you say inlay, so are those pieces veneer, or the same depth as the frame? Reason I’m asking is I was wondering how uniform an etched/engraved surface would be for taking thin veneer…

Good question, they’re full depth.

I am not an expert on terminology here, but I think:

Inlay means pieces fitted together and made flush to the surface.

Intarsia is when you cobble things together to try to create an appearance of depth…?

Marquetry is the case when you’re using veneers to create an image/pattern…?

Mosaic is when you’re using uniformly(ish) sized and shaped pieces to fashion your pattern/image.

So while I think all marquetry that is sanded flat is inlay but not all inlay is marquetry?

Further I think mosaic can be inlaid, but I don’t think if your whole piece is mosaic that it counts as an inlay since there’s no larger piece to call the “parent”?

I dunno, I think there’s some grey area here. In this case, if I have it right, it’s definitely inlay (flush), and the pieces are all full depth.

Some expert will come in here and “actually…” me at some point. This is the internet, right?

1 Like

I have seen bow tie splines on large table tops when they “butterfly” the wood. You see the grain flipped.

1 Like

I’m not concerned with terminology, was just wondering if you used veneer, how hard it was to get a uniform channel for it to drop into, without having to sand it flush.

Full depth (whatever it’s called) is much better for strength, and suits my plans for now…