Cover Me

I’ve been a fan of Field Notes and their aesthetic for a bit, but find myself writing physically less and less (my handwriting has always been terrible anyway, but I do scratch notes and like to sketch). Maybe if I made my own little cover, it’d inspire me to carry the things around and get back into practice.

Continuing to build on this leather thing, and combining skills I’m picking up:

• Designed from scratch in Illustrator
  • Adapted an idea found here for diamond-shaped holes, but made my own to a size and shape more like actual diamond punches
  • Found and adapted an Illustrator script to lay out objects along a path
  • Cut a card stock mock-up for fit and alignment before committing to leather
  • Etched and applied a couple of my acrylic stamps
  • Played with natural dyes - made acorn pigment, but could not get the leather to take it, even with an alum mordant. I’ll have to keep trying that, but went with dark-roast coffee and finished with a bit of olive oil
  • Ditched the speed-stitching awl and figured out the double-needle method

It’s getting there.

53 Likes

Oh, it’s gorgeous! Good for you to figure out the saddle stitching, it really does look nice. And that’s a tasty recipe for leather dye.

4 Likes

Lovely. Everything about it.

4 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

Beautiful result. You can use this for future leather dye notes and design sketches.

3 Likes

Thank you. As with many of these things, I don’t know why I was intimidated, except that it was different. I have to work on backstitch so I can avoid the unsightly finishing knot. I also need to get some finer needles - the Amazon cheapies still need too large a hole.

3 Likes

I love the color, and the stitching is very neatly done! Kudos!

3 Likes

Love this! I just started learning to do more with leather, too and have noticed the same thing. I bought a small assortment and they’re all pretty ‘fat’. I’m sure this will be part of my learning curve.

2 Likes

Wow that’s nice.

2 Likes

This looks amazing! Well done

3 Likes

I need to try to dye with coffee again. I did not get very good results. I tried “used” coffee grounds. Maybe the ratio was off or I did not wait long enough.

2 Likes

This was dark-roast fresh-ground and coffee, boiled with a fraction of the normal amount of water, and then simmered down even further. As a practical matter, after three pretty generous applications, it really didn’t darken the leather all that much. It added a little color, but it was the olive oil that really made it work.

4 Likes

That is beautiful! I have been trying to perfect my saddle stitch. We will call that a work in progress. LOL

2 Likes

Thank you. I don’t know that I’ll perfect everything, but improvement is happening.

2 Likes

Well all I can say is that you definitely did an amazing job! I am going home to cut leather and practice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes