COVID-19 general discussion thread

This analogy is spot-on. Well worth 2 minutes.

3 Likes

Sound advice…

Those poor fools in Iran dying drinking ethanol because of a rumor that it kills the virus.
We need to learn to think and question everything since anyone can publish anything on our global communications network. I’m talking to you antivaxers.

4 Likes

zdogg is the best.

2 Likes

I appreciate the perspective from Italian hospitals. That gives a point of focus for sure. I was aware of the pneumonia aspect of the progress but that aspect hasn’t been the leading of the major news sites I’ve been scanning. Most of it is about closing things here, talking about the sources of the infections and and economic concerns. I put out some stuff today and went to see what folks are calling it. I was going to go with COVID-19 but then noted that CNN seems to refer to it as the novel corona virus.

1 Like

Also nobody is really saying anything about the potential for permanent lung damage. Death isn’t the only negative outcome. :worried:

3 Likes

Or that it can infect your internal organs. It’ll take years to figure out how many people and how much damage.

2 Likes

I am probably at higher risk than others my age due to asthma which is normally well controlled but makes the flu very tough on me. I get a 2ndary infection like pneumonia more often when I have the flu or even from a head cold sometimes. So, I started social distancing early (working form home, not working at the art gallery, avoiding travel and gatherings) and have convinced my wife to do likewise by changing her business calls to telephonic and having her staff work from home (she is the boss of a small company that can pull this off fairly easily). So, partially hoping to protect my own ass and more generally hoping to slow down the spread.

We have friends and family who have not gotten the message about social distancing. They are still flying all over the place (although a few may be stuck in Europe depending on how that travel ban works out) and continuing activities and vacation plans that are the opposite of social distancing. Their upcoming visits to our house have been put on hold. Some of them did not get it. I had to spell it out. “YOUR BEHAVIORS INCREASE THE PROBABILITY OF YOU BEING A VECTOR OF ACCELERATED SPREAD, PLEASE GO HOME AND STAY THERE”

8 Likes

This seems to be trending:

3 Likes

Italy has an older population coupled with a rather high rate of smoking. Those two things alone make it tougher for them.

Shame on that guy for fear-mongering to sell his book. I prefer to rely on vetted sources like this one.

1 Like

FYI - don’t download any of the “world tracking Covid cases” - they’re being used to hack computers because people suck

(I have a friend in app security)

3 Likes

Per that souce I listed below there’s SARS-COV-II (the virus), which causes COVID-19 (the disease).

I believe it is a novel corona virus, but that’s the least specific of the terms (well, other than just “corona virus”)…

1 Like

all the major professional sports leagues (except golf, i think) have canceled/postponed all games. NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, MSL…

1 Like

Wow, I listened to the whole thing and I didn’t take it to be fear mongering at all. It was actually sent to me by some Mayo Clinic employees. The chatter in those halls from what I hear is pretty interesting.

As far as vetted, the guy isn’t just some crazy, no-name guy? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Osterholm

3 Likes

And the “Super Sebring” races have been postponed until November.

I’m glad they made that choice.

1 Like

Wall Street Journal live coverage is free:

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/coronavirus

Also, everybody needing a COVID-19 test will be covered by the CDC for free regardless of income.

Thanks for helping me make that distinction.

1 Like

I don’t think anything he said is noticeably different from the ArsTechnica site - though in some cases he’s talking about data not yet released so he’s ahead of the curve. I think it’s just easier for some to see something in writing than hear it :man_shrugging:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/opinions/osterholm-coronavirus-interview-bergen/index.html

Yes, got to have the “I told you sos” here. It’s all part of the info. He’s got some good cred. The Planet Money interview about the vaccine production was pretty good. Learned a lot there. He’s got perspective.

1 Like

Almost my entire social life is being “canceled” by this virus, it’s starting to make me depressed.

3 Likes