COVID-19 general discussion thread

wee I will go ahead and add this… THE ROOT OF THE FRIKKIN PROBLEM!

THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

13 Likes

I’m trying to figure out where they’ve got him quarantined. Looks like a utility room with a bed in it!

3 Likes

Apparently it’s fake. Image from 2015.

3 Likes

We are all in this together, and we must work together to educate those that would put others at risk. Public health is everyone’s responsibility. Good luck to your family. My mom is 95 with pulmonary hypertension. I am glad she lives way off the beaten path. I still worry.

1 Like

So, the reason people are buying toilet paper…we need to feel in control. COVID-19 isn’t something we can control. But what CAN we control? Practical things. So, hey! Let’s stock up on toilet paper! It’s a reflex. I can’t help but compare it to the phenomenon of people jumping out of burning buildings. Because when you know you’re going to die, and there’s nothing you can do about it, you can at least choose HOW you die.

And on THAT depressing note…here’s a smile before you go:

12 Likes

Someone suggested to me that the reason people are buying all the toilet paper is because they are afraid they will catch something and be in quarantine for two weeks. Which I guess makes sense, but how many rolls do you need for 14 days?

6 Likes

I guess it all depends on whether gastrointestinal distress accompanies the illness. :wink:

5 Likes

Yes, and you can imagine what it was like in my neck of the woods when they found e. coli in the water supply and put us on a boil-your-water alert. There went what was left of the toilet paper and bottled water to boot! Not to mention, wash your hands to prevent coronavirus, but by the way, you now have to use bottled or boiled water to wash them. Ewwww.

4 Likes

9 Likes

But, people will need more food, too…so however they can get more food, can’t they just add a package of toilet paper to the grocery list? It makes no sense to me.

2 Likes

This has been mentioned, I’m sure, but if you’ve been in quarantine for 2 weeks, does that mean when you emerge that you can’t catch it again?

And a bit of levity to throw into the mix… :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

They have had people test positive a second time; no firm conclusion whether it’s a second infection or the first one wasn’t all the way gone. I suspect, given the family of the virus, that we can be reinfected, just like you can catch another cold after you’ve already had one, or get the flu again even though you’ve had it before. But I’m nothing close to a virologist, so don’t take my word as gospel. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:heart: Yes. I think I haven’t been honest with myself about being worried. When your loved one has been fighting for his life for 25 yrs it does weird things to your head and heart. :pensive: At least hubby has heard enough and I have his blessing to tune-out the in-laws for as long as I want lol. They are now convinced this is a George Soros conspiracy and I give up.:woman_facepalming:t2: :zipper_mouth_face:

8 Likes

Feeling isolated?

5 Likes

One actual concern that makes sense is the impact on the supply chain of a pandemic. I was a coauthor on an article in Chest on hospitals ability to maintain a supply chain in this kind of event, and it was pretty terrifying actually. The world runs on JIT keeps investors happy, but not you if you need to poop after the local supply is out. If the truck drivers can’t drive and the warehouses can’t ship it, you’re screwed…

10 Likes

At this specific millisecond, WV is the only state in the U.S. without a positive virus test. Most reasons to come into the state are now shut down. Will get a little snow tonight but ski season ends tomorrow. So going out tonight to jam with local friends since it might be the last time we get together for a while.

5 Likes

Yeah… a lack of a positive test is definitely not a sign that you don’t have it. The odds are much more likely that it’s there, but underreported. I’d skip the jam if I were you, part of doing our part to reduce the spread.

2 Likes

Speculation by an infectious disease expert that the number of COVID-19 cases has been quietly growing in the US for weeks and is currently in the 10-40,000 range.

The number of obituaries listed in the local newspaper in Bergamo, Italy has skyrocketed. Feb 9: 1.5 pages. Mar 13: 10 pages.

After cancelling live performances due to COVID-19, NYC’s Metropolitan Opera will be live-streaming opera performances on their site for free. Verdi, Puccini, and Tchaikovsky for starters.

This is a clever idea: Quarantine Book Club. Video chats with authors on Zoom, tickets are $5 a pop.

Google Doc of a giant list of ideas for being home with the kids (for “actual quarantine, school closures, weekend social distancing” etc.)

5 Likes

Aren’t planning jams for the foreseeable future but not going to panic about tonight. There are families with more kids here than people in our jam. Schools only closed 24 hours ago. Not a big gathering, more like 8-10 friends with no kids. Few of us have seen a person in 3 days much less been in crowds or traveled.

4 Likes