Covid face shield design

I wanted to share the design for face shields I’m making for our hospitals. This is a modification of another design which I think makes it easier, quicker, and closes in the top (which my ICU nurse wife says is a must for them).
I’m cutting it from .020 clear acrylic from Johnson Plastics which I get for $20 a 24 x 49 sheet. I cut the sheet with a utility knife into 12x9.8 pieces then laser the shape and holes for the band into them. I get 10 from a sheet.
I use 1"x1" foam to close the top, for padding and to hold the shield away from nurse’s face. I can’t find this foam in self adhesive so I’m super gluing it to the acrylic which seems to work well.
The bands are #117b file bands from Office Depot (non-latex) - 200 for $12.
So, I’ve got about $2.25 in each one.
Face Shield for 117b bands.pdf (3.8 KB)

24 Likes

Quick and easy. I’m going to give it a try right now.

I’m using 500 speed- full power on the .020 acrylic

1 Like

That’s a similar design to the disposable kind available commercially. I probably need to source some of that foam. :+1:

1 Like

I wonder if pool noodle type material would work as well as the foam.

2 Likes

I got my foam from a local industrial rubber and gasket supplier. It comes 54" wide.
I have also used 3/4"x3/4" self adhesive weatherstripping from Lowe’s but its a little thin.
I don’t know how the pool noodle would work being curved. Seems like it would tend to make the shield unstable on the head? Maybe if you found a flat float?
BTW I’m cutting the foam on a band saw

Using weatherstripping here!

2 Likes

Ahhhhh! Might have to try the weatherstripping…I can pick that up easily at the local HWS and I’ve got the clear sheets already. (Many many of them.) :smile:

1 Like

i love the simplicity. but a couple of questions about the foam.

how does the foam affect the resanitizing/reusability of this version? does the foam hold up to cleaning? does the foam come off to be replaced or is this considered disposable?

The foam is closed cell so I guess could be cleaned/sterilized. My wife and the other ICU nurses at her hospital are using the same shield for the day and wiping down between patients. They dispose at the day’s end.

2 Likes

Thank you.