Craft Tip —- Enclosed sanding and cutting box

I do an insane amount of sanding and cutting. Since 2012, if needed to cut something with a saw I had to wait for Eric to get home and help me get everything outside.

Last week I had a vision . Today I present the enclosed sanding/cutting box.

Three holes were cut with a wood burner tool and I attached a Command hook to hold the power cord.

I place my little creation on a table, stay inside, sand or cut all day long. All sanding dust or cut shavings stay inside the box.

My hands go through the two main holes and I can use various tools. Total cost— $10

Originally I was going purchase acrylic, get the GF to cut the holes, glue the box together and put hinges on a lid. This way was so much easier.

My sweet @ElsieH inspired me with the name —The Black Cherry

29 Likes

Clever!

1 Like

I like it! (Definitely beats sanding over the trash can!) :smile:

2 Likes

Love it! I’d say I need one but I can’t for the life of me think of anything I want to make.

1 Like

I love this idea. I have to walk a bit to our shop to sand, need one of these to have in the house…sadly that was about the only exercise I get :rofl:

2 Likes

Good idea. I would be tempted to port it to accommodate the shop vac.

7 Likes

That’s a great idea.

2 Likes

Andrew @eflyguy suggested the same exact thing!!

My little box sits on the table that also has the GF. Unfortunately there is not enough table surface for an attached hose.

1 Like
2 Likes

Great idea, wish I had thought of something like this the last time i was sanding some cedar. I work from my coffee table so any process that increases entropy tends to become a work stopper after a short amount of time.

2 Likes

You can cut down even more on the loose dust if you tape some large rubber gloves into the front holes (Google “diy glove box”).

4 Likes

This would be great to not get sawdust on every surface of the garage ;p

3 Likes

Brilliant idea! I bet I could do something like that for spray paint too. I know they make pop up tent things for spray paint but this is much cheaper.

1 Like

I googled it and I am so making this! This will be fun.

1 Like

I thought about you when I was making my box. I also make jewelry and I am always cutting wire. Next time I create a piece of jewelry — I will put it in the box to cut the wire and then all those little tiny dangerous pieces of metal stay trapped.

I am going to make another hole on the other side of the box for my air compressor air gun. When I get finished sanding —- I will blow off the sanding dust that is still attached to the material.

1 Like

Great idea! Sand away!

1 Like

Cool idea! Reminds me of… sand blasting boxes & chemical hoods… (especially if you add the gloves as @cynd11 suggested). Brilliant to apply to sanding!

But also thought about my cat’s litter box :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:–I took a tub similar to that and cut in a hole for her to cut down on the dust and litter kick-out…

3 Likes

Draw back of a closed box–all the over spray will have no where to go and soon you won’t be able to see due to the paint cloud and have once clear sides covered with the over spray–unless you have a small fan or something to control the over spray… (I use a cardboard box on the side for small stuff & outside for ventilation when I can since the box can force all the crap back out of the box–stay upwind!).

2 Likes

It would be interesting to use clear sheet adhesive, like Contact Paper, to cover the walls then replace when it gets to hard to see through. I used an abrasive booth that did that for their viewing window, and that is where the idea popped up from!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.