Craft Tip. Sandpaper sanding sticks

@CMadok @arh2 @cynd11 @ElsieH @designvh619

This is a very super easy project. Cut different lengths and width of wood. Then glue sandpaper to the bare sanding stick. I used 2 pieces of 1/8 birch for the larger ones.

The two larger sanding sticks measure 3/4 x 7“. One sanding stick has 60 grit paper—the other has 500 grit. The purple sanding stick is 1/4 in width.

These are great for working in tight spaces and miniatures…

23 Likes

Great tip!

4 Likes

Very handy idea!

3 Likes

And to think, I ordered something similar to serve the same purpose. With specialized sandpaper refills of course. Great idea!

3 Likes

Looks like the tool I made for getting stuck parts out :).
The back end is a spiral wrap of 400 grit sand paper with a spot of super glue at each end to hold it on there, and the other end is the result of boredom heh, its one of those blade sections from an olfa knife patched into the end with super glue and a wrap of sewing string. I sharpen the blade end with sand paper and it gets silly sharp, good at slicing out a stubborn strand of plywood.

6 Likes

Congratulations! You’ve reinvented emery boards… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Mine have the edge sandpapered for corners.

3 Likes

Love this idea!!

2 Likes

Good thing is you can customize the tool’s geometry. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hey, thanks! I’ve made sanding blocks, but the sticks would definitely be useful for getting into tight areas.

4 Likes

i got a bag of a random mix of sanding twigs in my stocking last year. they’re nice, but not quite as customizable as this.

3 Likes

I love this idea!

I wanted to sand down the edges on some of my gears, but it was too difficult. This is the answer! I could get right in there!

4 Likes

I love my mini Tacklife cordless rotary tool, otherwise I also use a nail file.

6 Likes

This is a great tip straight from my other hobby of woodworking. I might have to see what else transfers over well!

4 Likes

If you can come up with any ideas —please share them.

When I was a teenager in the 80s — I worked for my father’s business. One of his clients was an older gentleman who did wood working. I was always mesmerized by his work. One day this man was making a jig. I asked him what that was and he explained it to me.

For my 17th birthday I asked for a table saw. I will always remember what my father said “Pretty young ladies do not own a table-saw they own high heels!!”

In May 1999, I was 31 years old.—-that month I walked into The Home Depot wearing a pair of high heels, dress and full make-up and purchased my first saw.

A couple of weeks later on a Saturday —-my father comes over to my house. I am the backyard with my new saw cutting wood for shelves. My father says “That is a nice table saw!”

I reminded him of what he told me many years earlier. He said “That was dumb of me to say that!” It was his way of apologizing.

I miss watching The New Yankee Workshop.

9 Likes

:joy::joy::rofl:

Me too! But ol’ Norm is still alive and kicking’!

2 Likes

You can always use another way to sand!

2 Likes

AND they are custom-sized. If you need them ‘now’, it’s a lot better than waiting for a package to be delivered.

2 Likes

In 2nd grade, I was the winner of a Science Bee. But I had to fight for it, because a boy thought I got the question wrong and the teacher agreed with him. I was so upset I grabbed the science book and proved them wrong, right there in class.

Relating that to my mom after school, she said to me, “The boys won’t like you if they know you are so smart.” I thought about it and replied, “Well then, I guess the boys just won’t like me.”

To this day (57 years later), I don’t regret my decision at all.

5 Likes