Crafty Cretin - Things I made Vol. 2

Love, love, love you.

1 Like

Incredible creativity. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Where can I find these beautiful files?

I’m not selling files (yet?). I like creating things and they be ‘kinda’ exclusive, at least for a little while until someone takes my advice and the inspiration and creates their own versions. I may eventually sell files, as I see lots of people making decent sales with them… but I’m just not there yet. It takes so much effort to make a file, and I am constantly tweaking them as I go… so to make something I’m confident enough to sell… even more time and effort. I’d rather me making stuff. But thank you. I sincerely appreciate and consider you asking as compliment.

2 Likes

So, when do you sleep? It looks great. I’d like to get into it out here in AZ (I also do some woodworking, charcuterie boards, and such). Everyone sees it and says how beautiful, but the wallet never comes out. To be fair it was only one craft show and no one did well at it last year. Except for the woman who bought a bunch of Hershey’s bars, wrapped them in Xmas paper and charged $2-3 dollars each. AND SOLD OUT! Maybe next year I’ll put out the money for a tent and such and see how it goes. But your stuff is seriously nice.

2 Likes

Not sleepin’ much lately but not because of lasering (shoulder injury). But this thread is like a year’s worth of creating. I’ve gone in weird inconsistent cycles of gotta create create create to, meh, not feelin’ it right now. Been trying to be a bit more level lately. Posted up a “family and friends prices” Christmas sales gallery on my personal FB, and boy have my friends and family come through! A ton of orders! And that has lead to a few “out of my circle” orders too. I know it’s Christmas, so it won’t always be like that, but still… very happy with it. I’ve started an Etsy, but I hate the effort involved with listings and promoting.

I LOVE selling at craft shows. I’m an introvert, but talking about lasering allows me to practice and fake being an extrovert fairly easily. But each show is different, even the same weekly show will have a great day, and then 3 meh days. Roll with it. Chat with other vendors, they’ll tell you which shows they like, and don’t, and WHY. It’s hard starting out, because you know YOUR stuff, but you don’t know what you don’t know nor need to know regarding shows. Transport of your inventory is a factor, set-up/tear-down, how it all fits in your car, weather prep, bags for shoppers, taking credit cards, all that chit is vital to having a successful show, and that’s IF the show has an audience. You can EVERYTHING perfectly planned, but people gotta show up. $2 to $3 things always sell well. Because people don’t blink. But 10 sales, is still only $20-$30. I’ve bumped up my game a bit, and there are very few $3 keytags on my tables anymore. Pretty much $10 is the starting price and up to about $50. I’ve only done 2 shows this year, and they were both very successful. One was better than my whole Summer of Saturday neighborhood markets last year, at the last one of this Summer. It’s really hard to judge this year anyway. I think people were just itchin’ to get out and spend. Don’t give up. Read up on craft market success and talk to other vendors.

Thank you for the kind words! SINCERELY appreciated.

2 Likes

I really love your stuff!

What do you use to design? I am just starting and only have inkscape… I have started with just making things we “need” like a better rabbit feeder for the kids pets.

I thought you couldn’t sell star wars or magic stuff? copy right etc?

1 Like

There’s no “only” in having Inkscape. Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape are the two leading design apps, and many professionals choose Inkscape over Illustrator as they find the interface more intuitive (I’m in that camp.) They both have huge learning curves, but that’s because they are both so packed with features.

Same with GIMP (free) and Photoshop. Equal in features.

3 Likes

I use Illustrator because I’ve been using it for about 15 years(and still learning things all the time). Copyright is a big issue. Crossing that line (legality) is a risk. I have my fandoms, and try to make very unique things that aren’t available elsewhere. (Like the airplant holders. I designed those, 'cept for the tie-fighter.)