Create a face mask out of filters

Good Morning Everyone!

With facemasks being so scarce, you can create one with HVAC filters. (CDC says it works as long as you put a piece of fabric between your face and the filter material)

These side pieces will help you create the mask. Just slide the filter material through then wrap around the back. I just used some yarn I had laying around for the ties. But you could use whatever. You can adjust the fit by pulling more or less fabric through.

Sorry for the crappy Photos.

FaceFrog.svg.zip (1.3 KB)

47 Likes

doubt i will use but i love the name

4 Likes

Thanks. They look like frog faces :slight_smile:

We have nurses here in San Diego buying filters to make masks. I also thought it might help a few people out.

5 Likes

this is awesome. i’m tempted to drop a stack of these off at home depot next time i’m there so they can use them for their staff, since they’re staying open (and have a pretty good stock of HVAC filters).

7 Likes

That is a good idea.

2 Likes

Thank you! These would also work great with the blue shop towel idea.
Combined with a handkerchief or scrap of cloth for the outer layers and get a really sturdy no- sew variation.

4 Likes

I thought about using swiffers, especially sandwiched between two layers of cotton fabric. They don’t get used in my house anyway… :roll_eyes: Looks like I wasn’t the first.

2 Likes

LOL. I absolutely thought about my swiffer sheets! Great minds!!!

That is cool. I like how everyone is coming to the table with ways to help!

2 Likes

What an easy solution to an ongoing problem!

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I thought about it for about 10 mins then just drew it. It’s not elegant but it really works.

1 Like

I don’t think I agree, it’s pretty elegant.

4 Likes

Well, thank you! I have a hard time with quick designs. I always wonder if I explored every viable option. Sometimes I guess it’s ok to say done. LOL

3 Likes

just donated a stack at home depot. found the manager, told him what i was doing (the other mask clips for hospital workers) and told him i’d found this today and made some for their staff. he asked me which acrylic i was using. i showed him and he gave me two sheets of 30x36 0.93 optix to keep making mask clips.

hope you don’t mind that i stole your pictures to print out on a sheet to show them how to make them. :slight_smile:

oh, and i bought a bunch of HVAC filters. (a) because we just used our last one and (b) so i have a couple to experiment with making some of htese.

9 Likes

Very Cool!!! Although you might want to get better pictures. LOL

1 Like

hah, well, maybe i can take some now. i didn’t have any air filters that weren’t already filtering in my HVAC.

1 Like

that’s brilliant. I am so moved by all this first responders needs. I want to help and I already made a big purchase of 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 acrylics sheets to build face shields. After seeing this design now I want to make mask as well. My son is a police and I have another one that works at Lowe’s. The police one told me they don’t have mask and i have to do whatever I can to help those in the front line even tho i don’t have a source of income. I have a question for this design. what are you using to glue the filter piece to each other?

2 Likes

if i understand correctly (and i haven’t pulled apart a filter to make one yet), this is a friction fit. so when you pull the filter material through the slot, the friction will hold it in place. and that’s part of the adjustability.

3 Likes

Exactly! Once you pull the filter through and fold it over the edge it doesn’t move. But you can shorten or lengthen it to fit any face. It is suggested that you put a fabric barrier between the filter and the face when making these.

1 Like

ah ok I understand now. Thanks to both of you for your reply

1 Like