Creating custom jigsaw puzzle patterns in Inkscape

There’s an option for that - feel free. :wink:

3 Likes

And this is why I’ll be doing puzzles with my Glowforge! Almost everyone loves puzzles.

8 Likes

My granddaughters 3/5 are going to be visiting from Nashville right about laser delivery time.
I plan on them helping “Pappy” explore his new toy - puzzles will figure prominently!

4 Likes

14:15 - almost lost a piece…:confused:

2 Likes

I always liked the idea of throwing in some unique pieces - like this guy http://www.thingamajigsaw.com/ . Where some pieces are animal or some other object shape… Nice way to make a customized and unique or themed puzzle as a gift.

11 Likes

That is cool…never seen one done like that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Most of your high end puzzle cutters will do that (special shaped pieces). Many even have a signature piece shape to identify it as one of their own. One of my favorites I’ve even seen was a puzzle of a lake scene, and if you looked at the lines the pieces created in the middle was the silhouette of a boy in a boat fishing, with a fish on the line. It was incredible. I like when they throw in some conture line cutting (where they cut along an actual high contrast line in the picture - makes it a little harder. Once you get to work on a classic wooden puzzle, you don’t really want the cardboard things any more.

6 Likes

Taking “whimsy pieces” to the extreme, Liberty Puzzles here in Boulder create the best (and most infuriating) puzzles I’ve ever seen. Each of their puzzles is made up entirely of whimsy pieces, with no two identical pieces in any puzzle. Their retail store has some framed so you can see the front as well as the back and they are gorgeous!

Front:

Back:

Piece Detail:

http://www.libertypuzzles.com/about

22 Likes

Her mother loved puzzles, we gave her a 1000 PC jigsaw - it was red… She solved it.

7 Likes

I can see a few of these on the agenda…one day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One year we gave our mom a really evil one. It’s a chain of jewels and range have piece has one jewel. There is a pattern to the jewels, until you hit a white one. Might even be two whites in a row. The pieces are also cut to be similar so you might get some to fit until you go to fit in the next row on top of it. That one took her quite a bit longer than normal.
:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

That really is a new level of evil! At least it made the entertainment last longer.

1 Like

23:54…on a small phone screen…Probably could have done better on the computer since I spent alot of time trying to grab a piece…lol

1 Like

The acorns are dropping. Thought this photo would make a good puzzle.

22 Likes

Gorgeous picture! (Great puzzle potential!)

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

So are you saying you don’t mind if I use it on my Glowforge?

3 Likes

That would be an exceptional puzzle.

1 Like

Of course, another way to learn to hate acorns would be to load that image into your illustration software of choice, add a layer, activate the pen tool, and start vectorizing. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

That would be an awesome puzzle!!

1 Like

So folks who already have laser, print the picture out nice and pretty, use laser safe glue and attach to some thin plywood, What’s best to get the picture to not be ruined by the smoke/soot picture on the bottom or picture looking up at the laser?

2 Likes