Crooked gantry

Hello. We’ve had our glowforge for about a week. The gantry has gone crooked one or twice but turning it off, gently moving it back and restarting had always helped. However, now it goes crooked every time it goes to move toward the back, even when just turning on. We’ve tried different suggestions we’ve found on here and FB pages but nothing is working. Looking for any other suggestions before we request a replacement. Thank you!

Do a search over on the support site for “squaring the gantry.” They have a step by step on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a similar issue recently. It turned out to be a small piece of debris that had gotten on one of the rails. It was so small and in a location that wasn’t visible that I missed it for quite some time. I carefully ran my fingers along the rails until I located and removed it.

1 Like

Is the tension the same in both of the side belts?

It appears to be. We’ve tightened the left side a little but when we push on them they both seem the same. Is it possible to tighten them too much? Or should we just tighten it until it doesn’t go anymore? Thank you!

Hang on…it might take me a minute to find it…there’s a video that shows someone sproinging it. (Yes, that’s a technical word.) :smile:

Here’s the link to it.

If they are both okay, then definitely check for debris in the belts or pulleys. Turn the machine off and gently pull the laser arm forward and back to see if you feel it catch on anything.

1 Like

We will try that. thank you!

If you have a flat mirror like a mirror tile, remove the crumb tray and lay the mirror on the bottom. You can slide it around to see up into the gantry area. That might help you see anything that could be a problem.

You have either belt tension, or motor issues. Here’s a post from support on how to check belt tension:

If the tension is correct, it’s likely the machine will need to be replaced, so you’re going to want to check this carefully.

Thank you for the suggestion! We have tried this already and it doesn’t help. In fact, as we’ve tried these few suggestions, it is simply getting worse. We suspect a motor issue. Hoping to hear back from support soon.

Should be soon. They try for one business day.

I’m so sorry about the snag you’ve hit with your new Glowforge’s laser arm.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.