Cross Stitched Pins

My husband made some lovely little pins for some friends and our kids, and wanted to share the designs :slight_smile:

The top piece is cross stitched with 6 strand embroidery floss and then glued to the bottom piece with wood glue. A normal embroidery needle wouldn’t fit through the wood so he ended up using a beading needle. The engraving on the bottom piece gives the thread on the back room to sit in and hides it. Then a pin and clasp was super glued to the back to finish it off.

These were cut on the Medium Walnut Hardwood that came with the Glowforge.

Here are the SVG files. (Note: The square border should be 1.5 inches per side and ignored, our SVG files export small for some reason so we have to expand them in the Glowforge software)

Pins.zip (2.7 KB)

Enjoy!

97 Likes

Adorable, thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cute and creative! I love seeing projects that integrate with traditional arts.

Thank you for sharing your project and your files!

I know you didn’t ask but, if you want to resolve that:

Set your artboard size to 12" tall by 20" wide (EDIT: had those backwards - it’s late) and, make sure you are working in and/or exporting at the correct resolution. Some software operates in 72DPI default and, some in 96DPI. Searching these forums on the name of the software you are using plus DPI should get you more detailed information (e.g., “inkscape DPI”). Alternately, let us know the software and version you are using and, someone will be able to tell you exactly how to correct this.

Most software that saves SVGs will also save PDFs, which contain scaling information and will open with the Glowforge UI. So, those should open properly sized.

7 Likes

Thanks! We have some plans for some really cute gingerbread ornaments for Christmas :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips too :slight_smile: We’re using Adobe Animate to create and export SVG files. It seems like something set to 1 inch there comes into the Glowforge software at 0.75 inches. We ended up at 1.5 inches for the pins after experimenting with what the best hole size would be, and never went back to change the source files.

I don’t see any DPI related settings in Animate, but I’ll take a peek around the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. In any case it’s easy enough to work around by using the borders with known dimensions.

3 Likes

NIce share and more new ideas! I like the embroidery! Great stuff!

4 Likes

What a great idea and thanks for the share!

3 Likes

I have always loved mixing media in new ways, and those certainly are that, Beautiful!

2 Likes

These are so pretty! Thank you for the share!

3 Likes

Looking at those squares I was thinking how you might make many in a chain and end up with an incredible belt!

2 Likes

Thank you for the generous share. I like mixed media and mixed generational projects.

2 Likes

As always, appreciate the shared designs.
Not my cup of tea, but will show to the wife. She is always looking for different gift options.

2 Likes

Honestly, cross stitch isn’t my thing either. I love the look of them, but its not a project I would ever be likely to do. Textile type stuff isn’t really my favourite. But I am glad my husband designed and made these, it gave me quite a few ideas for future projects and I really like the visuals of the bright thread against the wood. I am thinking of buying some LEDs and something to use like light bright pins to do something similar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, isn’t that just the cutest thing ever. Very fun!

3 Likes

Those look like they would be a great summer camp project . I would think that they would be very popular . :grinning:

5 Likes

Okay my inner cross stitcher just squeed when I saw this. I’m definitely going to try this out over the weekend - thank you so much for sharing this! :blush:

4 Likes

Love your design work. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was using resin today to add to some earrings I cut recently. And just as I was trying to go to sleep (and I can’t so I’m here), I thought “how about using embroidery floss/beads to give my earrings some color.” Then, I see this. Wow!

5 Likes

These are soooo adorable! I’m putting together a little birthday box of small items for my sister’s birthday next Monday … this will be a great addition!

I detest cross-stitch. My mother tried to teach us all kinds of crafts (which I so loved!). When she taught me cross-stitch, she gave me a 6" design to go across the front of a skirt. I did finish the embroidery work, but, never made the skirt. ::sigh::

All that being said, I’ll be thrilled to do cross-stitch on a heart for her birthday! Thank you!

4 Likes

These are so pretty! What a cool project(s!).

1 Like