Custom box/urn for ashes

An employee that I work with dog died (18 years old) and she had it cremated. Wanted me to make a box for her to put the ashes in. Not really sure of the type of wood, but the darker wood is wenge. The paw prints are engraved from an ink paw print they took before he died. His dog tag i used to make the handle on top of the lid. The lid and the base are slightly recessed. The name on top is epoxy filled with a silvery blue tint. (Which matches a bandanna that her dog wore that shes going to tie around the box).

25 Likes

Nicely done–always a sad reason making it necessary, of course.

3 Likes

Well done.

3 Likes

Nice! How did you achieve the coloring in the name?

2 Likes

Mica Power in epoxy resin. I mixed pearl white and a little bit of cobalt blue.

3 Likes

It’s a lovely box, and very nice of you to make it for the person.

1 Like

How did you get the resin in without it overflowing? I have trouble with just paint getting under the tape.

Oh and I love the box. I geared up at the mention of the paw prints being his actual prints.

1 Like

Hi! With the resin, i found a little trick a while back that i use for all small areas. I use a small syringe and just slowly lay the resin in with that. I make sure to slightly over fill it and then sand it back down to the wood level.

Before that though, I brush on a layer of sanding sealer to make sure none of the resin soaks into the wood, discoloring the edges. This makes for a sharper looking line/edge.

3 Likes

What a sweet project. I love the paw prints on the lid as well as the details around the edges.

1 Like

Wow thanks. I will have to try that

1 Like