So… after we finally got our porch rebuilt, it was time to put some new house numbers up.
we looked at some numbers online and in home depot/lowes. we liked a few, but nothing was quite right. and i hate the idea of seeing visible nails/screws, which all of them seemed to have.
so time to pick some fonts and make my own numbers in acrylic. we decided on some shaker style for the details on the porch, and I ended up choosing P22 Arts and Crafts for the font (available in adobe fonts).
then off to HD to get the short nails, and then create a second acrylic layer, just a little smaller. used some calipers to measure the nail shank and the nail head. set up a cut for the shank and an engrave to sink the head in so the two layers of acrylic sit flush.
some cutting, some gluing, and here we go.
next up, time to make a jig in cardboard. four layers to accommodate the depth of 1/8" black, 1/4" clear acrylic backer, and the nails. no pics of it by itself, but here it is mounted on the house.
all lined up, time to do some malleting and remove the jig.