Custom Mustang GT 5.0 Engine cover insert

That is a fine-looking ride!
Your mod fits it well, looks like it grew there. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

ā€˜Mustangā€™ - loosely translated from Spanish as ā€˜Ownerless horseā€™ = untamed, which is what that black thing is. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Chevy had trouble selling their Chevy Nova in Mexico for that reason.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Is this the performance model? How do you like it?

3 Likes

Not for nothing, but the under-hood temperatures are going easily get past the glass transition temp for Acrylic, and could potentially approach the melting point (which is only 320ĀŗF). Looks cool, but you might want to take it for a ride in traffic and stop every once in a while to see if itā€™s meltingā€¦

3 Likes

While I love the NO VA legend. Snopes says it is fake news.

1 Like

I do not know about Chevy renaming it, but the reality of the Spanish translation remains. The largest used car dealer in Miamiā€™s Little Havana district was Nova Auto Sales, and I could not drive past it without thinking about ā€œtruth in advertisingā€
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure ā€œNovaā€ means the same thing in pretty much every Latin based language. ā€œNewā€.

ā€œNo Vaā€ in Spanish is two words.

2 Likes

Took the car out today probably put 70 or so miles on it at about 80 miles an hour. The inserts held up very well. I checked it when I got home because I was worried it wouldnā€™t hold up under the heat as well. The engine cover was warm to the touch but no where near 320 degrees.

4 Likes

It is the Performance model. I love it, its a very fun car to drive.

2 Likes

If you havenā€™t already, you should take a performance driving course. Canā€™t tell you how many videos there are of nice Mustangs crashing because the drivers got a little ā€œout of shapeā€ and didnā€™t know how to handle the situation. I give this advice to all my friends when they get ā€œhotā€ cars. I did it myself when I bought my first new high-performance car. Skip Barber racing school. I credit that with saving me from disaster at least a dozen times over the intervening years.

2 Likes

I had a VW van years ago that changed my mind a lot about performance cars. My top speed was ~55mph going from Tucson to Florida and there were a lot of folks zooming past me. What really got to me was when they zoomed past me several times a day, over several days! It was the ā€œold tortoise and hareā€ thing.

I had a bed, stove, and refrigerator at easy access and could overnight at rest areas along the way so spent only a couple of hours at sunrise and sunset eating and sleeping only stepping out of the van for the restrooms as needed.

Of all the vehicles I have owned most were vans, and most of those VW vans.

1 Like

Love your car! The old school ones look great!

3 Likes

Nice car and your piece looks amazing under the hood!

2 Likes

I remember back in the 60ā€™s that every gas station across the southern desert had several VW vans in back for salvage.
You coming from Tucson probably had you primed to know they did not handle high heat all that well.

2 Likes

It was so much fun driving up US-17 that was 30 miles or so at +15 degrees the whole way with a rest area at the top. Every single vehicle had to stop and cool and refill their their radiators at that rest stop. Every single vehicle of course except Volkswagens that just kept passing by, while getting dirty looks from all the folk with their private geysers.

It is certainty true that vans had issues over bugs in terms of air intake, but every one I had or knew of had aftermarket scoops, and while few had original engines, changing out the engines was quite easy and far less expensive than a similar water cooled engine.

I even got a ticket in Atlanta for doing over 75 mph with one blown out cylinder.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s nueva in Spanish. In Latin it is nova/novus/novum, but most romance languages use different forms, like nouveau and nueva.

1 Like

Nice! My first car was a ā€˜68 but it was the inline 6. I miss it now, but I always wanted the V8! Probably wouldnā€™t be here now if I had it. Even today my truck is only a V6. :joy:

3 Likes

Hey man, Iā€™ve driven a turboā€™d 4 banger that rocked the power of a naturally aspirated V-8.
That beautiful computer-controlled fuel-injected blue beast there is quite capable. :sunglasses:

2 Likes