Custom table for my Forge

That should be good for material storage. Very nice!

1 Like

I figured if it was a problem I would but an additional piece of 1/2" plywood on top.

Rod

1 Like

Duh…of course! Why didn’t I think of that?

1 Like

Just curious how the angle brackets are attached to the frame. Looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

Love the table!
I’m guessing most of us getting a Glowforge are clever enough to figure this out but here is a link that may be helpful and it’s almost as beautiful.

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful table. I’m surprised by how good plain 2x material can be

2 Likes

Gotta love that auto-correct!
Bothers me when I don’t misspell a word, but the phone decides to arbitrarily insert a different word.
(I do my best proof reading right after I hit “send”.):confounded:

Edit; meant for @markwarfel:rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Haha corrected. Yeah. I hate when autocorrect just decides you should be writing about a different topic. But at least it’s not as condisending as Google. “Did you mean…”

1 Like

Dude. That’s beautiful.

Just drilled a few holes in the top and side of the angle iron, and then used 3" long screws into the sides of the planks, and some shorter ones on top. Then I just masked up the table with newspaper and tape and did a quick spray coat with the same paint to make the screw heads match the rest of the metal on the table.

1 Like

Nice!

Glowforge Nest
I was thinking of the surfaces I had available and I’m tight on space, so I needed to
“think cubic footage instead of square”, as someone here mentioned earlier.
There happened to be a perfect slot for it, hanging from a tall (43") bench top.

My plan was full extension glides, good ones.

22" full extension rated 500 lbs. Man! I picked up the box and thought “there must be two sets in here.”
Needless to say they will carry the 'forge ok. :thinking:

The deck is 3/4, 13 ply bird’s eye maple 41"x24". (yeah, it’s tight, just like everything else in here) with an oak apron front and back to make it rigid.

That’s 175lbs of my well fed behind on it… just for assurance.

A neat detail I got lucky with is how the the forge will breathe.
The exhaust will go through the floor!

The basement floor is suspended 3-4 feet above the soil, and there is a radon mitigation system standard for the geology here. I installed a much more powerful exhaust fan on one side of the house opposite the intake on the other side. About 1,200 sqf. down there.

The exhaust fan is about 30 feet from where the hole in the floor would be.
The plan is to duct the exhaust underneath the floor and terminate it near the exhaust fan.
Anything airborne within 10 feet of the fan will be evacuated within a minute.

The beauty of that is with another opening a few feet to the right of the exhaust hole, I can draw fresh cool air (even in summer) from the same area and feed the machine return air required by the displacement of the exhaust, keeping the heat in the room.
(yes it’s my house, I finished the basement, and I can drill holes anywhere I want.) :tools:

Awesome place for a Glowforge.
The room is ready, and so am I :sunglasses:

23 Likes

Dude. That is simply brilliant! I may end up copying it a little. Haha

3 Likes

Unused space. I’m very happy with that solution. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

500lb slides for a 55lb machine - that’s the type of design I believe in. Plus great use of space. People never seem to consider the entire vertical column of an area.

9 Likes

Thanks!
Pondering the glides, there are many good ones rated @ 100lbs for a little less than half of the $85 I paid for these, but the forge will be precious to me, and I have never been disappointed by spending a little more to do it as well as I could.
Yes, that was dead space. [quote=“caribis2, post:35, topic:1697”]
. People never seem to consider the entire vertical column of an area.
[/quote]
That was my problem. I started by trying to decide which of my bench/table surfaces I would dedicate to the machine. The default was on my 4x4’ steel table that sits under power ventilation, but that’s where I weld/cut/gind - and having to reposition the machine to use the table was less than ideal. I needed all of the areas that have evolved to support a specific function, so my plan kept moving around the room to wind up where I started.

Just sitting there daydreaming one day, my gaze was focused on that area when the words “cubic instead of square footage” rang in my ears… bam! I knew I had my answer.
(gratitude to whoever said that)

The only detail is the area behind the laser won’t accommodate the exhaust being connected with the shelf fully retracted, so I will just have to plug the duct(s) on when I use it.

2 Likes

Glowforge weight + weight of materials + operator weight crawling over the damn thing that time you need to fix something behind it… yeah, I like a good overage of capacity. <3

3 Likes

I"m liking the cubic thinking! I may have to adapt that idea for my space.

1 Like

That wonderful design should keep the cats off of it too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do not underestimate cats, especially where a laser is involved. :smirk_cat:

5 Likes