Custom Wooden Claymore Sword Build

Congrats on the commission, beautiful execution!

15 Likes

Great job and write up.

15 Likes

How is that done, if you don’t mind a question? I’m not sure I see the effect of it; is it changing the color of the blade?

12 Likes

It’s the “horse” at the top of the blade engrave:

This is a terrible picture tbh, it doesn’t show its metallic nature.

The gist is that you engrave, fill with brass powder, then use a binder to lock it in place (I used CA glue, wish I’d had thin CA, would have been easier).

When you sand it flush, it looks like solid metal. It’s really cool. Someone wrote it up… let’s see:

18 Likes

That does sound really cool; I’m definitely trying that!

13 Likes

You can also do it with stone powders and make really cool inlays that way too. Hmm who was it that did a bunch of these? Cynd11 maybe?

Yeah @cynd11:

17 Likes

More. Definitely more.

16 Likes

This is superbly nice and fine. Wonderful craftsmanship here.

14 Likes

This is truly a lovely sword.

13 Likes

Wonderful job, I too find the handle beautiful.

9 Likes

Gary Gygax would be awed. Nice work.

10 Likes

The winner of that sword is going to absolutely be thrilled! Great job, and wonderful maker details!

11 Likes

Marvelous work! The attention to detail is obvious, and I’m sure this thing is a joy to hold.

I’ve been saving brass powder whenever I saw a rod, waiting for the day I attempt a metallic inlay.

15 Likes

the two times i tried copper powder, i didn’t have the greatest success. i couldn’t seem to get all the bubbles out. i was using the super thin (like thinner than water) CA.

14 Likes

Everyone at Glowforge is envious of the person that won the sword. It truly is a masterpiece and thank you for making this for us!

16 Likes

That’s an awesome build! I love that you put a personal detail on the back, just for the person who wields and sword.

10 Likes

Magnificent!

I always enjoy reading about the techniques you use to make things.

Somehow, I had missed the previous uses of brass (and stone) powder.

11 Likes

Very cool!

8 Likes

An honor to be asked by Glowforge! Everyone here knows they asked you because you excel at every detail. Another outstanding project!

9 Likes

I showed my husband this and he said to say that as a fencer and a Scot he highly approves! (that is the replica Claymore I gave him)

11 Likes