Customizable Weck Jar Lids

Bill, as I was scrolling down, I briefly thought you had created a 3D moulding of a dog’s head on top of the jar.
Was quite disappointed that you hadn’t(even though I’m a cat person ) :slight_smile:

John
EDIT had to google weck jars - never come across them over here.

5 Likes

I’m not dissapointed. Penny is a sweetheart.

I also had to Google search weck jars. They look nice, but a bit pricey. I’ll recycle, re-use, re-purpose my candle jars first. Looking at the candle lids made me realize how easy it would be to make an air tight wooden or acrylic lid for any jar, glass, or mug using properly sized laser cut discs with a ring of flexible gasket sandwiched between the discs.

7 Likes

O-rings ?
Not sure if you use the same name - black nitrile rubber.
You’d need three layers, the middle one fitting inside the O-ring.
Or not. Probably do it with an engraved shoulder ?

2 Likes

Layers trapping the O-ring was my plan. I’ll just have to source a good, affordable material for the O-ring.

2 Likes

Route out a trough in any plastic/wax candle, and cast silicone rubber, sort of U-shape ?

2 Likes

What a great idea! I was cleaning out the attic of the barn that I recently bought (it came with the farm) and I found 3 garbage bags full of nice glass weck jars.

No lids though, but that I can fix with the forge and some cork or wood!

I’ve made little moss terraria in some of them already. I love those little patches of green in my house.

7 Likes

Are you using the O-ring as a seal, or just for friction fit?

2 Likes

Ooh, I really like this as a gift idea.

5 Likes

Hi. I know this is an old post but I am new to the GF world. Can you tell me what material and setting you used to get this depth? I actually found the drawing on line and made a PNG of it. I tried to engrave on proofgrade medium draftboard and it made just a light etching - no beautify carving like you got. Any suggestions? Thanks!

For the Zentangle one? That one is on Medium Proofgrade Cherry plywood…I can’t remember the settings I used for it, but it was likely High Quality. (Cherry ply is going to engrave darker than draftboard, so it might partially be the material you chose, partially the setting.)

That lid also consists of a separate ring cut out and glued to the top, which adds some depth as well. The engraving is not actually that deep, just dark.

Thanks for the fast reply! Sorry, yes I did mean the Zentangle one. Sometimes I just print stuff to scrap just to get a baseline how effective it is (or isn’t). I will do some more experimenting with other materials. File format shouldn’t make a difference should it? Thanks for your help!

Tom

Another great @Jules idea! And that’s actually inspired me - we use little ikea mason jars to make individual desserts for the family (saves a bunch of cash and packaging to buy large quantities or make our own!) and the glass lids can be removed from the metal wire structure, so engraving them and filling with sweets or treats could be a great stocking filler or even wedding favor idea… Will try that and post my results!

3 Likes

If you mean svg versus pdf no. If you mean a vector engrave versus a raster engrave yes.

1 Like