Customized Print Button Escutcheon

Didn’t know that…I wonder if the art film adopted the name?

2 Likes

Could be. The usage I learned is 40-75 years old, might be older. But nobody does that kind of work regularly anymore.

2 Likes

Oh my… I forgot to open the damper on the exhaust hose a few times with my old laser. One of the reasons I sprung for the filter for the GF. Sometimes I get lost in my own head. Love the button surround!

8 Likes

Very nice, clean text.

4 Likes

Very cool project. The text looks good, however, maybe it is just a quirk of my mind, but, I’d find the bottom text a little more readable running the other direction. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s lovely, @marmak3261! You can engrave them all at once - in time we’ll do that automatically, but for now, @rita can probably give you the magic Inkscape incantations. In Illustrator, the trick is to make the letters a single compound path, if I recall.

19 Likes

Nice job !! Will definately have to do something like that to personalize the GF. I was a little surpriesed you didn’t go with Papyrus font however…:grin:

4 Likes

I LOVE magic Inkscape incantations! :smiley: @rita share with all of us! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow - just looked at the video, and it should absolutely not take anywhere near 5 minutes to boot up. On investigating, your machine was incorrectly calibrated. @Rita is going to look into whether we can fix that for you remotely without requiring special equipment, but it should home much more quickly than that now (and we’re improving it further).

26 Likes

Will the Glowforge manual include tips like this for popular apps such as Inkscape, Illustrator and Affinity?

Or are you planning a series of video tutorials perhaps on how to best use the Glowforge?

3 Likes

Fixed! After a catastrophic power failure during a print, I asked for some assistance because there were problems in the homing routine. Now it takes just a minute.

My thinking was that with the print like this, when I am at the back turning the power on, I read the text that says connect the vent hose. When I’m at the front pressing the print button, I see the amazing things texts.

I left the masking on the other side for printing so it is available for rent. You can advertise your business every time I take photos of the top of MakForge!:smiley:

17 Likes

Stargate ? anyone ?

8 Likes

There have been some of examples of the Stargate design on the forum but to make it easy for me:

Google Image Search Stargate

35 Likes

This will probably be the design for my big blue button. Go :glowforge: - Rich

6 Likes

I think I see a stargate in my future!

3 Likes

Mmmm. I want a geared ring (at least) so am wondering whether to spend the time on doing a deep engrave for the gears or just assemble a multilayer sandwich.

1 Like

Very nice - that should be the new topic - design your Print Button Escutcheon.There would be some funny, interesting, artistic ones from this group ! (Pillbury doughboy belly, nuclear launch button, orbiting spaceship,etc.)

12 Likes

http://woodgears.ca/gear/planetary.html

5 Likes

I really need vector art for the gate. Huge fan. Going to try to build a full size one someday, probably after I retire and go slowly insane. It’ll be nice.

7 Likes

It’s interesting how this laser cutter seems to attract a type of person with similar interests to each other… lots of tech people around here, and now star gate fans too? SG-1, right? Not those crappy reboots I hope…

5 Likes