Cut settings for 1/4 Extruded Acrylic

Hoping somebody can help me with a starting point. I had cut some months ago and had a lot of melting. Now thinking of using this gifted acrylic for stands. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’ve always just used the PG settings…the big thing is to remove the plastic masking before you cut it (and replace with paper masking), because that stuff melts onto it and makes a mess.

3 Likes

Yeah, just use one of the Thick Acrylic PG settings.

2 Likes

Thank you. I ended up just messing with the settings. It seems to be doing good at 100/53. I new to remove the plastic from a past experience but thank you for the advice anyway.

2 Likes

Extruded acrylic is the issue.
That tends to melt down and settings won’t remove that.
Using it for something that is not going to show that detail is a good plan.

1 Like

Yeah I already knew I couldn’t engrave. I made an Easter cutout with it today, and will use the rest for stands and cutouts.

Extruded doesn’t mean it won’t engrave, just that you’ll get generally better results with cast. I just did this engrave test with a piece of black scrap extruded.

12 Likes

Oh wow, that looks good black. I actually did try to engrave it a month ago just as a test. I didn’t de-focus my laser or anything, but the result was just a groove but really minimal frosty color. I think it would be awesome if I filled it with something but hadn’t even tried to mess with engrave again. Maybe I’ll run some tests tonight.

FWIW, that is a 3D engrave with a bitmap that looks like this:

i was testing how much contrast i wanted with levels in photoshop to get the effect i wanted.

11 Likes

I’d like to find a good use for the extruded I have. I’ve had it for months then just yesterday made a couple cutouts. I’m sure it will come in handy when I need it most