Cut settings living hinge on wood

I have been looking through the feeds and questions about living hinges but can’t seem to get what settings are being used. if this has been asked and explained sorry but I just need a little help I am using either 1/4" or 1/8" birch ply and trying to make the living hinges for the 3d puzzle toys and models cars trucks etc. I have an svg pattern but not sure of the cut settings in GF to hopefully be successful. Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Cut settings are cut settings, doesn’t matter if it’s a hinge or not.

Check out #6:

8 Likes

All I can recommend is make sure the cuts are WITH the grain if possible. I haven’t tried every type of wood of course but has had good luck with 1/8" Baltic Birch as far as flexibility.
But like the guy above said, just set it to whatever you would for the wood you’re using to cut normally.

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the help :slight_smile:

Thank you, I appreciate the help and I agree I did it against the first run and with the second and it definitely works better when you go with. :slight_smile: 1st pic with grain, 2nd pic not so much won’t bend lol

2 Likes

I was able to get my cuts pretty close together and still be pretty flexible without cracking or breaking. I was using that same pattern as in your picture.

1 Like

Yeah, I am using the 4 mm which is the larger I made it all the way down to 1.25 mm still playing around with the cuts but doing the actual windows now will pic it once I cut it - thank you Brandi :slight_smile:

I dip my wood in water shake it off let it set for about 10 min then bend and clamp

9 Likes

Sharp points create much higher stresses than even small curves so teardrop shapes at the end of the cuts will be much more durable.

4 Likes

Thank you for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like