Cutout made on Gimp

Hello! I tried making a simple logo using gimp, so i could then cut it into leather patches to put on caps and such. The thing is, whenever i saved the gimp logo as an svg and imported it on the app glowforge, only 1 layer appeared on the website. I am a beginner with gimp so i couldn’t figure out what to search and what to look for.

Here is what my gimp page look like.

1 Like

did you try to selecting object to path or creating a path and before that did you group them and save them as a svg? I’m not really skilled in gimp but I know you got to do that on my end with other platforms at times. hope that helps some

2 Likes

You’ve posted this in the Free Laser Designs category, which is where we share files with everyone.

I’m moving it to the “Everything Else” category which is the better fit for your post. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

GIMP isn’t really meant for vector art (and vectors are what you need if you want to cut something).

GIMP is great for drawing an image that you might engrave.

Inkscape is a better option if you are trying to create cut files.

That said, it might be possible in GIMP to create paths you can cut…
This article seems to describe how…
https://www.useragentman.com/blog/2013/04/26/how-to-create-svg-paths-easily-using-the-gimp/

3 Likes

As i said, i am really bad with gimp. I tried selecting everything with the fuzzy tool to see the bitmap and got lost there. I am trying to export the bitmap into glowforge to then cut it out as a single shape and not 3 different ones. Right?

2 Likes

Oh damn my bad, i just saw your reply. I’ll look into the links you sent and get back to you shortly!

1 Like

@rbtdanforth is the go to gimp-exporting-paths guy around here.

1 Like

You right-click on the path

You will have to have a name and give it a .SVG at the end.

And then look at the bottom lines.

You will then want to open the Svg and drop in the raster file

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.