Cutting a slot/groove for a plaque stand

I was trying to practice cutting a slot and this is was my first attempt. I used the same settings for baswood but this is pine. The settings were 750/full power on the engrave option. I thought focus height represented the depth so I set it to 1/2". :unamused: Pine is a lot harder than basewood so I thought the baswood settings would be a good for a test run but…nope.

I set the line image to go all the way across to each side…but had an error message about the thickness of the wood (it’s .75" and I had the crumb tray out already). I put masking tape across the top and let it barely hang off the edges which got rid of the error message but the GF did not go all the way to the sides.

I needed to cut an 1/8" or 1/2" slot for an acrylic plaque (1/8" thick).
I included an example of what I was trying to achieve.

I attempted to make a slot with a reciprocating saw a few weeks ago and it wasn’t working. The thickness of the saw blade is not thick enough for the width of the 1/8" inch acrylic.

I hope someone can help me figure out the setup. Thank you.

IMG_3008 IMG_3009

1 Like

Problems and Support is for opening trouble tickets with Glowforge staff regarding issues with the machine or software.

I’ve moved this to an appropriate section, but they might close this discussion anyway.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of help in the forums for how to cut without the crumb tray – rather than re-write what’s been written already, I’ll just give you a search link to explore. :slight_smile:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=cutting%20without%20the%20tray

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.