Cutting board on a glowforge

my question for you genius may be simple to some and i dont know to others. the question is a family fried for her grandmothers birthday coming shortly has a recipe for old time kolaches and wants it on a bamboo cutting board. i have done a lot of cutting boards since i bought my gf but she wants the orginal paper handwriting on the design. im lost i have no way on how to do this im a retired carpenter of 37 years. i am not a computer geek whats so ever. that is why im here trying to get some help from you folksthat have done this longer then me. thankyou. now to actually find out that i have the original copy. [hopefully i don’t ruin it]. If i take a picture of the original on my samsung phone where and how do i send it the glowforge to get it to engrave. I am stumped on that part. I have tried sending it to my email and then hit print and it wont do anything there also so how would i turn a phone pic into a jpeg or pdf on my phone to send to my glowforge.

You’re in luck, this is a pretty common project idea, and has been discussed a bunch of times:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=recipe%20handwriting

Those threads contain everything you’re looking for. You’ll get a lot of good tips on how to approach it.

The other piece of good news for you is that for some reason people on this forum are particularly helpful on projects like this, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if people offered to help you clean it up. If that’s the path you want to take, you should upload the highest-quality picture you can get of the recipe. Scan or take a picture of it on a well-lit flat surface, holding your camera as straight and aligned with the recipe as you can. (You’ll need to do this regardless of how you approach it, a high quality starting image is really important when trying to do this. The worse the picture is, the more you have to do to clean it up.)

One last piece of advice: You seem to know your way around cutting boards, so you may already know this… bamboo engraves in uneven ways, you might have more success with a more traditional hardwood material.

11 Likes

There are people in the Glowforge Facebook groups that will prepare your recipe for you if you don’t feel you can do it on your own. Here is one link to a user that has done what you want to do and was kind enough to share his process. Heirloom Recipe Engraved Bamboo Cutting Boards

5 Likes

What evansd2 said. :slight_smile:

If you can get a good pic of it, I can take a look to see if I can clean it up for you. (No charge.)

1 Like

one of you fine folks suggested downloading Ping so i did and that really made a difference on the quality and shape of the recipe. i apprecate all to helping me out and i will send a picture of final product when im done. thank you very much.

4 Likes

Ping? Is this an auto correct of Gimp?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.